News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Heres' a superb CDV of an old Franco-Prussian war vet @ 1900 wearing (I think) a Beamter's uniform of some sort.

His medal bar is a classic of a long-serving old vet who got a government job after his army time was up.

EK2 (with oaks), Crown Order, Alg.Ehrzn. medal, Fr-Prussian campaign medal with (very clearly seen under magnification) battle bars for Amiens, Metz and St. Quenten (making me think 8th A.K.-but UNUSUAL with so few bars), Konigratz cross and a mystery medal (which may be a long service medal? and the 1897 Centennial.

I was wondering if that mystery medal might be a China noncom, but frankly-I have no clue now.

I would welcome any thoughts or comments-

Ta-

Guest Rick Research

Yes-- definitely a China Medal in steel.

What's the photography studio address on the card? He's probably a Lazarettinspektoror something similar "glass ceilinged" out career-wise and knowing where it was taken should identify him, with the trio of decorations there.

Guest Rick Research

There were only 9 EK2 1870/KO4/AllgEZ trio holders in the 1902 Siekmann Beamten Rangliste and of those only two serving in Berlin. One didn't list either 1866 or China in his 1908/09 Orders Almanac entry (not that THAT "proves" anything) but the other DID--

Lazarett Oberinspektor (11.10.98) Joh. RHODE, born B?sekendorf 25 December 1844. Match to medal bar. Between 1902 and 1908 he had added a BrH3b (somehow). He had the XXI years service brooch, which is probably being worn just below off camera?

Lazarett Oberinspektor (17.10.98) Jos. Gressenich, born 1844 didn't show 1866 or China, but had no long service brooch either.

The trio of awards floats across Intendantur Registrators, Intendantur Kanzlisten, an Oberzahlmeister, 3 Garnison Verwaltungs Oberinspektoren and a Kasernen Inspektor-- but none serving in Berlin.

well, Gressenich was a Srgnt. in the IR 68 in 1870-71 and I can't even find where that regiment was in my order-of-battle.

Rhode was unhelpfully in the Magdb. 4th F. A.Rgt. of the 8th ID, part of the IV army corps-with very different battle bars.

A detachment of the regiment was with the special "festung artillery troops", so that may provide an explanation.....

Guest Rick Research

Yup, that's why I included him as a suspect. People left off the weirdest things in their paid Orders Almanac entries. Omission can't be taken as meaning they did NOT have something....