News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

UNKNOWN OTTOMAN MEDAL

Zaim Qyteza

According to Metin Erureten's book, the one with a train was "stuck when the Damascus-Mecca railroad reached the town of Maan in 1904".

The other one also features in the same book (page 151) although there seems to be little information other than "medal of Ayasofia tamir (restoration)". So maybe to commemorate the restoration of the Ayasofia mosk which is still a major touristic attraction in Istanbul, near the Topkapi Palace.

Edited by TerryG

According to Metin Erureten's book, the one with a train was "stuck when the Damascus-Mecca railroad reached the town of Maan in 1904".

The other one also features in the same book (page 151) although there seems to be little information other than "medal of Ayasofia tamir (restoration)". So maybe to commemorate the restoration of the Ayasofia mosk which is still a major touristic attraction in Istanbul, near the Topkapi Palace.

Thank you Terry. Following some other medals from my Ottoman Medal Colection. Those are the tree versions of the Crimea War Medal.

Best regards,

Artan

Other unknown ottoman medal from my collection.

Artan

According to the same reference book, this is the medal of Hirfet Sanat Ticaret, a commemorative medal struck following the first international exhibition which opened in Istanbul on 27th Feb 1863. Looks like the building on the medal was built specially for this event and was demolished after the event.

According to the same reference book, this is the medal of Hirfet Sanat Ticaret, a commemorative medal struck following the first international exhibition which opened in Istanbul on 27th Feb 1863. Looks like the building on the medal was built specially for this event and was demolished after the event.

Thank you Terry.

I see that you are very prepared in ottoman medals. Your informations are very precious for me. Following another piece of my Ottoman Colection. This is the CRETE WAR MEDAL.

Best regards,

Artan