News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Hindenburg Cross of Iron

Recently inherited family heirlooms from my grandfather. One included a Hindenburg Medal with presentation portrait. Was awarded to my granduncle Wilhelm Zipp who served with the 3. Garde-Feld-Artl.-Regt. out of Berlin. He served on the Russian Front during WWI. Any help in identifying medal would be appreciated. See more pictures in my album (fackerman64).

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-6247-1234808447.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-6247-1234808456.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-6247-1234808467.jpg

Hallo fackerman64 :beer:

The item is possibly is one of the many unofficial commemorative medals

and the ribbon reflects the national colours of Prussia, Germany.

Medals featuring the portrait of Hindenburg, that was popular in the period of WW1 and post WW1

many coming under the title "Patriotika."

(I will add a picture of one in my possession later, as its near to 1 in the morning here in Transylvania.)

There is a strong possibility the medal and photo portrait are not connected to the same event.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Joe...which postcard are you referring to? I have a total of four.

Secondly, as I am new to this site and a little inexperienced with posting images, what is the best resolution setting and image size that can be posted?

Kevin...thanks for your posts. Nice medal. I haven't seen any with his profile before. The most common one I keep finding on the net is the one of a bust of Generaloberst V. Hindenburg similar to mine, with an image of what looks like St. George on the back with a sword. The back also lists the battle of Tannenberg.

Thanks guys for your replies.

Edited by fackerman64

Here's an up-close view of the back with the iron cross. I wonder how many versions of these medals with Hindenburg were made? I guess these medals are similar to the pins and challenge coins I received from my unit after Desert Storm. They weren't official awards, but given as a means of building Esprit de Corps.

Here's an up-close view of the back with the iron cross. I wonder how many versions of these medals with Hindenburg were made? I guess these medals are similar to the pins and challenge coins I received from my unit after Desert Storm. They weren't official awards, but given as a means of building Esprit de Corps.

Hallo fackerman64 :beer:

Most "Patriotika" items like your medal was sold to civilians to raise money for the war,

these items are not to be confused with unofficial Regiment Medals and the Official Commemorative medals

such as Maneuver medals etc.. etc.. Items such as this never would have been seen on a serving soldiers uniform.

"Patriotika" items came in hundreds of types from broaches, badges, pins etc..etc..

The quality depended upon the firm making the item.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 1 month later...