News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Crimean War Helmet plate

GeorgeCL

• 3 months later...

Hi George,

I was very interested to read about your Crimean helmet plate (and to read some of your other postings on Imperial Russian items). I, too, have a 26th plate similar to yours, though the original number underneath the shield is 94. I also have another plate with a cut-out number 49, but this obviously lacks the add-on shield that should be there, since the attachment holes are also there.

I have another helmet plate which is, I think, the pattern of 1857 which replaced the larger Crimean version, and was used up to 1917..

[attachmentid=31998]

One or two more oddments from my collection follow, to complement your offering - hope they are of interest and comments will be welcomed. Cap badges from left to right: Army officers, Army N.C.Os., and Territorial Trops

[attachmentid=31999]

The next three are a little different . . . I do not know what the small one, on the left, is, but I think, probably not a military badge. The middle badge was worn by Finnish troops (Sharpshooters) in the Imperial Army and the badge on the right was worn on the breast.

[attachmentid=32000]

The final three are shown on the next posting, since there is not enough room on this one.

t

Continuation . . .

Again, I cannot identify the black and white cockade, shown below. This is a porcelain badge , but, again, I so not think it is a military badge. The second badge is in silver and enamel and is probably an officer's cap badge, but what unit, I have no idea.

In your posting on the Imperial Air force, you showed some pilot's badges and I was interested to see the similarity between these and the badge currently used on the cap by the modern Russian Air Force. Obviously, as with so many of their other present-day insignia, they have gone back to the old Imperial badges for their inspiration. The last badge shown on my scan is the secondary cap badge of the current Russian Air Force worn above the Army insignia, on peaked caps, by flying personnel. It replaced the Soviet pattern secondary badge which was merely a pair of wings. These badges are in anodised aluminium.

[attachmentid=32003]

I can't play in the shako plate game. I've never been offered one and I've only seen a couple in collections. You have some terrific plates in your collections. It's a great theme to collect in that you can associate unit histories with the plates.

OTOH, I have openers in the hat badge game. I suppose it might be presumptuous for me to suggest that we start a hat badges thread. It would make it a lot easier for new guys and researchers to find them. Until then, here's what I can put my hands on right now. In fact, it may be that these are the only ones I have, but I thought there might be one or two more.

Chuck