News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Uniform/regiment ID help please / Sidney Fairchild

Hello,

I am new to this forum so, Hello! I have come on the advice of Graham as you may be able to advise as to where this photo was taken and which regiment this gentleman belonged.

I know his name is Sidney Fairchild, and that he hailed from Mitchum & Canvey island

Many thanks in advance

Soren

The leather cross-belt with whistle and chain suggests some form of rifle regiment. However, if he was military, you would normally expect a badge in the middle of the cross-belt, so I suspect he is police. The pagri on his helmet certainly suggests an Indian unit, but he could also be a member of one of the Indian-manned units from elsewere in the region. Don't recognise the unusual badge, unfortunately, but it could be related to the five-pointed star in the centre of the Star of India.

Edited by Timothy

The leather cross-belt with whistle and chain suggests some form of rifle regiment. However, if he was military, you would normally expect a badge in the middle of the cross-belt, so I suspect he is police. The pagri on his helmet certainly suggests an Indian unit, but he could also be a member of one of the Indian-manned units from elsewere in the region. Don't recognise the unusual badge, unfortunately, but it could be related to the five-pointed star in the centre of the Star of India.

I agree, Tim - not regular Indian Army. As you say, the lack of a cross belt plate but also the fact that I am almost certain that no IA unit had a star shaped badge. So, either police - though I think the pugri is a little ornate for that, or one of the Indian Defence Force units. The IDF were the Territorials of India, Burma and other eastern British 'possessions' and many had quite a bit of money - based on the 'day jobs' of the members - and could afford quite elaborate uniforms.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a comprohensive list of IDF badges readily available. Ed Haynes would know for sure. Any other "context clues"?

My guess, too, would be IDF. Their uniforms were close, but not quite "on", and rather more "theatrical" than regular army. Unfortunately, I don't know badges (but this is an odd one). Within the year, we may have along-anticipated book on them. Cross fingers.

• 3 weeks later...

The picture is that of a British Officer of one of the Malayan police forces between the wars.

There were a number of different forces including the Straits Settlements, Federated Malay States and other smaller concerns. Most were officered by 'British' personnel.

The badge should tell which force he belongs to, but I haven't got my books handy.

The puggaree is a combination of blue, white and/or silver.

They were paramilitary organisations with the ability to undertake armed action, hence the rifle style cross belt.

Hope this helps

www.uniformsotw.co.uk

• 2 months later...

The picture is that of a British Officer of one of the Malayan police forces between the wars.

There were a number of different forces including the Straits Settlements, Federated Malay States and other smaller concerns. Most were officered by 'British' personnel.

The badge should tell which force he belongs to, but I haven't got my books handy.

The puggaree is a combination of blue, white and/or silver.

They were paramilitary organisations with the ability to undertake armed action, hence the rifle style cross belt.

Hope this helps

www.uniformsotw.co.uk

Hi

Have you been able to check your books? I would really appreciate it!

Many thanks

Soren

Edited by Soren in Ieper

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I am new to this forum so, Hello! I have come on the advice of Graham as you may be able to advise as to where this photo was taken and which regiment this gentleman belonged.

I know his name is Sidney Fairchild, and that he hailed from Mitchum & Canvey island

Many thanks in advance

Soren

Hello dear member,

I belived that the Eurpoean superior officer belongs to the Federated Malaya States of Police (F.M.S.P) the similar design was also used by the Federated Malaya States Railway Police and subsequently used http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-4774-127822857157.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-4774-127822857157.jpgby the Malayan Police. You may like to visit my website for a closer look on the badges mentioned.

I live in Singapore and I have a fair collection of Straits Settlements, British Colonial Singapore and Malaya Police, Military, Prison and Fire forces cap badges, insignia and uniforms fro trade.

My unfinished website address can be found in my profile;

http://kitinsignia.tripod.com/singaporepoliceforceinsigniacollections/index.html

Do feel free to contact me for trade or sharing of common interest.

(I am interested in items from Singapore and unfederated states such as Johore, Sabah, Perlis, Kalantan etc.)

Regards, Kit (Singapore)