News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Sword opinion

Hlynur76

You did get to have a 'hot topic' from the post !! Seriously though, I am sorry that I got it wrong - in excuse, I must say that I see a lot more Boer War swords then I do Naval ones... However, with it's new attribution, it is worth a lot more now. email to either Sotheby's or Christies in London and ask them? (www.sothebys.com or, www.christies.com )

With best wishes Mervyn p.s. saw an interesting programme on the Icelandic horse recently. Lovely little animals - do they eat well !!!!!

I didn?t send them mail but I saw one sale at christies in May 2003. There was a British Pattern 1900 Naval Cutlass sold for ?353. I?m not sure how it is today.. but I guess it?s higher than 350 pounds.

About the Icelandic horse, yes they eat well. They taste good, but we don?t eat them as much today as we did back in the days.

Regards Hlynur

• 1 year later...

Hlynur

The one you show for sale is imho highly priced although looks in excellent order..

Blunderbuss antiques in London used to have piles of cutlasses hanging around but I haven't visited for some time now so don't know what the situation is.

Locally to me sword prices seem to be falling, particularly in local auctions. I wonder if Ebay uk's no weapons policy has stopped the dealers from buying them at auction for profit.

Best regards Simon

Hlynur - nice to hear from you again. Did the volcanic eruption cause you a lot of disturbence. You should make a post on the Lounge - we would all be very interested.

Simon - I saw somewhere that Blunderbuss have moved out of Central London. Not sure where they went. I agree with you about prices dropping - but, only for the more common ones.

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

this is an unusual sword - it is not the 1885 Pattern which saw service through the 1890's since it does not have the hilt pierced with a Maltese cross; it is not the 1899 Pattern Cavalry troopers sword since that did not have the bowl guard turned over at the edges; at 27 inches the blade is too short (specified length was 34.5 inches) for a cavalry sword; it is not the standard naval cutlass in having leather scale grips, not iron and it has a fullered blade which did not genrally appear on naval cutlasses. The scabbard looks like the 1858/9 pattern cutlass scabbard. I am pretty certain it is the Pattern 1900 Naval sword/cutlass which conforms in all respects as far as I can see to what you actually have, plus of course it is dated 1900, and has the N stamp which indicates naval service.