News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

not too long ago an Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross first class in silver was on offer at Thies. It was engraved on the backside with the Oldenburg arms.

I also know the 2nd class in silver. As described in my book they are not a higher level but a luxurious version, also known in other german counties.

My question is now:

Is it possible that certain people like "Kaiser, K?nig etc got this cross in silver? I know of a box which is identical with the commandercross but the innersections are different of course.There is an old inscription "Oldenburg Friedrich August Kreuz" and come from an old austrian "Erzherzog".

Maybe there are similar known awards in other german counties?

Best regards

Kapitular

Guest Rick Research

I would think a private purchase (what was called in the Anglo-English of my youth "swank") de luxe version. The wretched black paint on those nicely symbolic iron Friedrch August Crosses, after all, is really ICKY with any kind of wear.

I've never seen any indication in all the Rolls that I've worked on of any other official "better than issue" awards-- at least kept track of by the bean counters at the Orders Chanceries!

The blackened bronze "OFAK" crosses that I've seen have aged much better than the iron ones, but I've always assumed that those were privately purchased improvements too.

Hello Kapitular,

One thing that I can tell you for sure which relates to your question is this.

The Friedrich August Cross on Kaiser Wilhelm?s medal bar was blackened;

but like many of the other decorations on the bar, of reduced or prinzen size.

Reflecting Rick Research?s response, above, I am inclined to believe that such

awards given to the Kaiser were standard, but flawless, pieces. If there were

exceptions, I think that they would have been applied to many other awards

which he received, at least some of which we would be aware of by now.

After all, he was The Kaiser, he did not need a special piece.

Best wishes,

Wild Card