News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gulf war medal - 1991

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Nothing special or ground breaking, but the first Gulf War Medal I have owned.

Named to a chap in the Army Catering Corps.

Obverse:

Guest Darrell

Thanks Doc and Paul.

I might consider Research .. but I'm at a loss on how you go about this for these modern types. Any websites etc. out there? :unsure:

Paul, would be interesting to know. More and more of these are coming onto the market. These and the Falklands and Iraq. Still expensive though.

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

As a follow-up, Jim over at the British medal forum was kind enough to fill me in on some ACC background.

Darrell,

When I was in (I left the army 20 years ago) and they were still ACC they served with all the units in the army. Obviously they did the normal catering in the various messes but also they would go out on exercises and operations when they would man the field kitchens etc. Out in NI we used to have an ACC cook or cooks (depending on size of the base) at every station/base. Sometimes they would come out on patrol (their choice, for photo opportunities, the experience and to say they had done it). I imagine its pretty much the same now.

Cheers,

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

ACC cool!! Hardest course in the British Army, the chefs course, no one has ever passed it... :rolleyes:

But seriously going back onto topic. I`ve heard talk of RAF guys, who never left Cyprus & got this medal, don`t know how true it is mind. But it beggars the question which medal is worth more a chefs or an RAF guy who never went anywhere near the `sand box`?

• 1 month later...

ACC cool!! Hardest course in the British Army, the chefs course, no one has ever passed it... :rolleyes:

But seriously going back onto topic. I`ve heard talk of RAF guys, who never left Cyprus & got this medal, don`t know how true it is mind. But it beggars the question which medal is worth more a chefs or an RAF guy who never went anywhere near the `sand box`?

Any service person serving on Cyprus at the time of 1st Gulf War received the medal without bar;lots of RAF plus considerable numbers of army who were designated as battlefield casualty replacements,as there were few cas most of these soldiers never entered Kuwait but still received the medal withour dated bar.

Mike