News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hasselt/Metal Cross of Volunteers 1830-1831

I recently inherited a collection of medals after my maternal grandfather passed. These medals are family heirlooms which were passed on to my grandfather from our ancestors. One of these medals is a miniature version of what appears to be the Metal Cross of Volunteers or Hasselt Cross 1830-1831 from the 10 Days Campaign/Belgian Revolution. It appears to have the original ribbon.

I've read that the medals were made of brass from the captured cannons from the campaign. Would this be true of the miniatures as well, or were they issued or aquired on the civilian market (i.e. from jewellers)? Was this possibly a unit citation or a participatory medal?

Secondly, does anyone know what German units or contingent would have been involved in this campaign? Most of my mother's family hails from the Frankfurt am Main area in Hessen. I believe my ancestor would have been a member of a unit from the Grand Duchy of Hessen. I've been told by relatives that members of our family served with the Marburger Jaegers.

Third, can anyone explain the difference in spelling of "Volunteer"? On my medal it appears to be spelled "VRYWILLIG", whereas on other medals I have seen it is spelled "VRIJWILLIG". Is it possible that this is an indication the medal I have may have been purchased rather than issued? Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a view of the medal from both sides with what I believe is the original ribbon. The ribbon is orange and navy blue stripes. The medal appears to be brass.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-6247-1237468868.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-6247-1237468887.jpg

Edited by fackerman64

Here are larger views of my miniature. The front of the medal says "VRYWILLIG" as opposed to "VRIJWILLIG" found on other full sized medals. The back of the medal says "TROUW AAN", "VADERLAND" and "KONING". In German, this would be similar to "Treue an K?nig und Vaterland" or in English, "Loyalty to King and Country". The bottom of the medal shows the letters N E, with the E being reversed? I assume this is the code for the Netherlands (Nederlande).

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-6247-1237469505.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-6247-1237469514.jpg

Any help or further information would be greatly appreciated.

... either a fake or one painted over with some kind of laquer.

... mmm, I wonder : as Fackerman pointed out this is an old miniature, not the standard full size award. Don't know much about these things but couldn't it be a period privately manufactured one ?

Compared to the full size medal, it does look too different to be called a fake or replica, in my most humble view.

The inverted "NE" at the bottom does not stand for the Netherlands. In fact when one turns the medal around while reading the legend, it becomes "TROUW AAN KONING EN VADERLAND" (Loyalty to king and fatherland).

Also, this medal exists in two types : one for volunteers, one for other participants. In case of volunteers, the correct ribbon is believed to be orange with green stripes instead of orange with blue stripes.

The full size crosses were made from two Belgian cannon captured during the Hasselt battle. This miniature obviously isn't !

P.S. : shouldn't this thread be moved to the Northern Europe section ?

Cheers,

Hendrik

Herr General,

Well, it's not a fake as far as I know unless they made fakes in that period. Remember, this medal was passed on within the family as an heirloom and I have no intention of selling it. As far as its appearance, it had been pollished at one point with a jewellers cloth to enhance or bring out the details. I appologize for the lighting in the image, I had to blow up the image which would account for some loss in resolution giving it the appearance of having been lacquered. Also, the medal is approximately 1.5cm by 1.5cm in size. There would have been some loss of detail compared to the full sized versions when the medal was stamped or produced.

Hendrik,

Thanks for the additional info, what you said about the EN at the bottom of the medal makes perfect sense. Though, I haven't seen too many medals where something like that was done on account of running out of space for a word. The reason I posted under Imperial Germany was because all of my ancestors on my mothers side, are/were German. At the time, many Germans fought as mercenaries or as conscripts for their allies (i.e. the Hessians that fought for the British during the American Revolution). I've been told by aunts and uncles that one of my ancestors, Guillome Zipp supposedly fought at Waterloo as part of the Dutch contingent (the right flank of Wellington near Hougemont). It may be possible that he later went on to take part in the 10 Days Campaign and this medal may help to substantiate these stories. I felt that I would probably find more feedback from people with a knowledge of German Imperial forces who faught for their allies under this heading. I may try to repost under Northern Europe for additional info.

Thanks again for everyone's comments.