News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What do you think about... Prussian/Baden medal bar

I bought this bar some years ago and am not sure what to think about it. I'd say the combination does make sense for a non-Baden officer, Hauptmann or Major with no front line job in WWI. Definitely not a Badener as any Baden officer who was in service in 1902 got the RJM - and he was in service in 1897. The trapezoid ribbons are very unusual for an officer's bar of that time, especially with an enemaled order. The needle's fixation has been damaged and the needle now is fixed thru the bar itself, directely under the ribbon. I wonder how that could have been fixed on a ready sewn bar... ? Black light test is not of use as the reverse thread is black and doesn't glow anyway.

Any opinion on that bar is welcome, thanks in advance!

Edited by saschaw

Hello

that was one of mine ! I sold it a long time ago ! the backing bar war broken and repaired like that when i got it ! this is exactly like i got it yrs ago ! I always thought it was a good bar I know baden lion order is good !I believe i pick that one up at the allentown PA gun show !

Scott, it was me who bought it back then from you but as I would not have wanted to blame you in any way I did not mention it. It does not effect the bar at all, but it may effect the opinions on it here, and I did not want the opinions to be effected in any way. It#s just about the bar. The decorations are fine, absolutely no doubts about that.

However Gentlemen, opinions please!

I always thought that that maybe the 25 year officiers ls award was not suppose to be on this bar ?

maybe a TR 25 yr faithful service cross would make more sense? or maybe a reserve ls award ? i always wondered about that bar i love the lion order without swords and i am still looking for a nice noncom baden bar! :cheers:

Hard price, unusual combination, I'm not sure about the bar - but that Z?hringer is lovely.

However, could we discuss my bar in my thread? I honestly cannot imagine the pin can be repaired like this on a bar that has yet it's ribbon. From that point of view the bar has to be put together, or completely resewn. And without provenance, there's no actual difference.

Maybe, but who knows. At least there's more thread, and the ribbon is sewn very different. It is cut-thru on the top while the other three are only folded. Maybe that Z?hringer was used to replace something else - a white/black or black/white EK... ? The bar would then make much more sense, as an old NCO's bar. A Baden officer or officer in a Baden unit who was in service in 1897 would have received a Baden 1902 medal - while a NCO would not, unless he was yet in service for some more years (eight or nine to 1902).

Altered bar, played with? I do not mind, but would really like to "know" it. And as I cannot really _know_ it, I would at least have some more opinons on it. Thank you! ;) :)