News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting Manchu medal.........

fjcp

I was browsing at ebay as I sometimes do, and I came across this Manchu medal.

I've seen it a few times now, the first time I saw this medal was about year or so ago and then it sold for well over $1000....

The last two have been coming down in price, and the last one was 150-250 IIRC.

So here is the question, is this the real deal, or not?

Cheers.

JC

Here is the item (140312468394)

manchu medal

ps. I just remembered that all of the examples were in perfect condition.. I find this remarkable since the entire front is enameled and it's 75 years old

Edited by fjcp

Just my thoughts here--

The association 'Japan Manchuria Friendship Association' was a fairly well-known propaganda-type group probably financed by Japan. I am not sure... A quick glance over the web shows that the group sponsored soccer matches, calligraphy tournaments, etc., all in an effort to show how friendly the two nations were. The Manchukuo Film Studio even produced a propaganda film with that name.

The badge in question is not exactly common, but $1000? Who paid that enormous price? I have had three of these myself and I remember selling the second one for $99 on ebay about two years ago. If only mine had been a part of a similar bidding war!

The enamel work is not really deep and would probably be better described as paint. As far as I know, these are legitimate badges commissioned by a nominally private group. The workmanship appears to be Chinese or at least lower-grade Japanese work.

These are a bit heavy & bulky, so I cannot imagine who would have worn one. I have never seen any suspension or ribbon with it nor have I seen a case.

One would think that $1000 is better spent by investing in a Manchukuo Pillars of State medal or something of that nature... However, many people are entranced by the 'puppet empire' image and the image of a flag from a nation that no longer exists. In addition, in the relatively short history of Japan/Manchukuo relations, there seems to be a huge amount of buttons, pins, postcards, magazines, etc. that celebrate the existence of Manchukuo. Still, the pins and badges continue to fetch nice prices.

Perhaps someone else on these boards can give a more authoritative answer.

Cheers, Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your insight!!

I must confess I too am a little entranced with the whole concept of Manchukuo.

Not sure why, but we like what we like!!!

I must say I am rather happy to hear that these are genuine, the colourful enamels don't hurt either.

I don't think I'll be bidding on this one since I've been a bad boy these last few months but the next time I'll be very tempted...

Cheers

JC

Just my thoughts here--

The association 'Japan Manchuria Friendship Association' was a fairly well-known propaganda-type group probably financed by Japan. I am not sure... A quick glance over the web shows that the group sponsored ... calligraphy tournaments ...

Did they sponsor feather fencing too?

Cheers

James

• 2 weeks later...

It is a total fabrication.

It is just combined/mixed some elements of chinese orders.

And,it is made in South-East part of China,FuJian Province.Mostly part of fakes(chinese coins and medals) were from that area.