News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Extremely Rare DCM

Morning all

Not sure if this is the correct place to place this news item, but since I am only reporting the issue (I am not the seller) I thought it appropriate.

A very scarce 1st Anglo-Boer War DCM, awarded to B/1301 Pte C. Hemsley, is on auction on the South African auction site Bidorbuy for a breathtaking R350 000.00 (Roughly 26 000 Pounds Sterling).

Pte C. Hemsley was one of the 141 men of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders that participated in the Battle of Majuba. He won his DCM on 27 Feb 1881 during the said Battle of Majuba. His was one of only two DCM's for this battle and one of only 20 awarded for the entire 1st Anglo-Boer War of 1880-1881.

This is the most expensive medal to go on auction in South Africa for quite a long while.

As I have not discovered an unclaimed pot of gold at the end of the rainbow to acquire such rareties I thought it worthwhile to share with other members on this forum. Maybe there is someone with a big enough wallet that can offer a new home for such a treasure.

Enjoy and Regards

Norman :ninja:

The estimates (usually low) are set by some often very knowledgeable staff at the auction houses. (Very different from online "auction" practices!) The actual selling price is, of course, set when the bidding takes place, set by the market, set by the competiive insanity of those bidding. Seems to me to be a fair way to establish value.