News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

moth eaten cap

Hi

Had this for some time and would appreciate some views. Cap is very moth eaten but it the badge I am

interested in.I cannot find a way od detaching it from the cap so cannot show the reverse.

My understanding is that this is something to do with communications of some sort?

Anyone help?

thanks

andy

Guest Rick Research

I know NOTHING about British cap badges, but the freakish design on this one caught my eye, and in going through a large pile of books I have inherited, I found this one from a book published in August 1953:

This suggests the "Teletubby Devil" bit is "2nd Army Group" whatever and wherever THAT was. Hope that is a good clue.

I know NOTHING about British cap badges, but the freakish design on this one caught my eye, and in going through a large pile of books I have inherited, I found this one from a book published in August 1953:

This suggests the "Teletubby Devil" bit is "2nd Army Group" whatever and wherever THAT was. Hope that is a good clue.

On the other hand, the British telephone arm of the Postal Service is or was, I believe, called "British Telecom", which would explain the word and the lightning bolts.

My vote is for either somebody's 'dress up' hat or an attempt by a flea market merchant to sell two items which aren't related but might, to the untrained eye appear so.

Peter

hi thanks for the replies

quick update.

posted this on the British Badge forum and got this reponse:

An example (cap badge only) is listed in a Bosleys postal catalogue (Nov 1999) Lot nos 506 (didn't sell). It is listed as:

"Telecom scarce WW2 cap badge by gaunt, London. Oxidised silver finish. Loops, VGC. (Plate 14). (est ?75-?100).

Worn by uniformed men and women of Telecoms units of Cable and Wireless serving with all three services overseas. Formed in 1944, personnel had similar status to that of War Correspondents - see their histor "The Thin Red Lines" by Chales Graves."

Regards

andy

posted this on the British Badge forum and got this reponse:

An example (cap badge only) is listed in a Bosleys postal catalogue (Nov 1999) Lot nos 506 (didn't sell). It is listed as:

Andy

Very nice. Glad I was wrong about it! They must be fairly scarce - small original issue and not as 'sexy' as some of the iother units so perhaps not kept as carefully.

Peter

By Googling an inquiry on "British Army Telcom" I came up with an on-line copy of a book "The Royal Corps of Signals" by Lord Cliff that mentions the Telcom units being formed in July 1944 and being civilians but having their own uniforms.