News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Madagascar Andry Rajoelina Investiture with National Order

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

You certainly heard about recent changes in Madagascar.Former President Marc Ravalomanana has been forced to step down,and his opposant Andry Rajoelina has been called to power.As he is 6 years too young to be President under the term of the country Constitution,he is only acting as President (more or less like Alain Poher in France after General de Gaulle resign in 1969,even if the situation is here completely different,it's the closest comparaison that came to my mind).

But what is interesting to us,is that he was invested with the Collar of Grand Maitre of the National Order of Madagascar (this picture is from Bangkok Post 22 march 2009) and the Investiture Ceremony took place on saturday 21 march.

Later I will post close-up of the insigna he wore.

Emmanuel

This is a breast star of National Order of Madagascar current type,and it is locally made,and there is lots of variation,because they are made one by one (when they need to award one actually).

The way they are made is very local...but under the current law of Madagascar National awards have to be made on ths island.

Emmanuel

This is a breast star of National Order of Madagascar current type,and it is locally made,and there is lots of variation,because they are made one by one (when they need to award one actually).

The way they are made is very local...but under the current law of Madagascar National awards have to be made on ths island.

Emmanuel

Hi Heusy68.

Thank you for sharing this interesting bit of info on Madagascar. Information on awards of this country is very hard to come by and not much is known.

Regards

Norman

Hi Heusy68.

Thank you for sharing this interesting bit of info on Madagascar. Information on awards of this country is very hard to come by and not much is known.

Regards

Norman

Hello Norman,information not so hard to get.

Try the site of Ed Emering for info in english : www.themedalhound.com then click medal index,then click french overseas,then country name.Ed has gathering pictures from his own collection and different collaborator.

In french you have the book of Nicolas de Roffignac on African Post Independence Awards,a very well made and very helpfull book (still available to buy on different book supplier in Europe),with lots of black and white pictures of lots of African Medals and Orders.But it is in french,which is for me no problem,but despite this fact,this book was a succes of sale in the english speaking world simply because it is the onliest.Spink still has this book in stock,but they are not the onliest.If you give me your e-mail,I can pass the info to the author Nicolas de Roffignac,and then he can send you a book (signed).

Also a very good booklet published in the 70ies by the Madagascar Numismatic Society with lots of pictures (also still available in Paris and also on a well known internet sale site).

If someone would have the good idea to post pictures of Orders of Swaziland (they now have 5 Orders),that would be great,because for us in Europe,that is really difficult to get.

Emmanuel

The book on Madagscar is now for sale on e-bay : 220401564938 but 99 euro is a little bit expensive.

I think Daniel Renault ( shop Platt Numismatic , rue de Richelieu in Paris still has some for 25 or 35 euro )

If you are interested ,tell me and I can call this shop,then if you have a paypal account you pay me and then I can got 1 for you,I go to Paris the next time on 7 or 8 may.

Emmanuel

The Royal Ark website has a good deal of information on the orders and decorations of the Kingdom Madagascar at -

http://www.royalark.net/Madagascar/madaga-orders.htm

Cheers

James

Hello James,

yes it is,but only about Kingdom of Madagascar.Almost all the black and white picture are coming from this book published in the 70ies + also the book published about the Decoration at the Museum of Dijon (France) where the grand crosses of Sadi Carnot (President of France around 1889-94) are on display.Concerning coulour pictures,there is even one which comes from me.

But beware the Order of Radama with white ribbon with bleu stripe is a later copy.Actually the Order of Radama was still in the production catalogue of Company Delande in 1934.

How to distinguish later production than from the real one ?

Before 1879,the french export hallmark for silver item,is the head of greek god Hermes (you can also see this god on the first stamps of the third republic of France).It's a god with a helmet.Also the real one are always gilded and very shiny (no silver patina).

Also the real ribbon (red with tiny horizontal white stripes) has never been re-done later.

Emmanuel

Hello James,

yes it is,but only about Kingdom of Madagascar.Almost all the black and white picture are coming from this book published in the 70ies + also the book published about the Decoration at the Museum of Dijon (France) where the grand crosses of Sadi Carnot (President of France around 1889-94) are on display.Concerning coulour pictures,there is even one which comes from me.

But beware the Order of Radama with white ribbon with bleu stripe is a later copy.Actually the Order of Radama was still in the production catalogue of Company Delande in 1934.

How to distinguish later production than from the real one ?

Before 1879,the french export hallmark for silver item,is the head of greek god Hermes (you can also see this god on the first stamps of the third republic of France).It's a god with a helmet.Also the real one are always gilded and very shiny (no silver patina).

Also the real ribbon (red with tiny horizontal white stripes) has never been re-done later.

Well, I did put the word "kingdom" in my post, so there doesn't seem much need to labour the point.

I don't think you are right about the ribbon. I have also seen the "foreign" (white with blue striped ribbon) being mentioned by a British diarist who was sent as part of a diplomatic mission in the nineteenth century. I cannot recall the book or the author, but it was the mission when Radama II was given the uniform of a British Admiral by Queen Victoria.

Indeed, here is a picture of Radama II wearing the order from a third, entirely different ribbon -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm..._with_crown.jpg

As for the book from the 1960's, Chris lists two in his sources, but the one I have seen had some pictures but little actual useful detail in the text of the book concerned. Lots of false speculation and incorrect identification, but ultimately not very useful. Even going to the point of including a picture of a star and speculating about it when it was clearly the Star of Moheili, from the sultanate in the Comores.

Cheers,

James

The book on Madagscar .....

Emmanuel

Hi Emmanuel.

Thank you for your offered assistance. :beer: I will call on your help in future when my wallet allows for such a purchase. At present the exchange rate between our Rand and the Euro is not that favourable.

Regards

Norman