News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rust removal

While it looks good (and hopefully remains so)

I would examine the cross frequently after application

to make sure the product does not create any problems

with the Iron core.

Sometimes the application of these chemical solutions

appears to solve one problem but ends up creating more.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Hi Kev

The only side effect that was actually a plus, was a black oxide residue that can be washed off, I left it on this cross, it sort of covered up the area where some paint was missing.

I misspelled the product name it is Fertan!! here is a link to the web site. No I don't sell the product haha.

http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/fertandet.htm

Hi Nick

Well, I know many people don't like to use WD40 but, it really does a good job of neutralizing rust and it doesn't harm the paint or patina. I just give it a good spray and let it soak for an hour, then wrap it in paper towel until all the oil inside the frame has leaked out and dried up.

Cleaning is a matter of personal preference, some people like to leave their items untouched in their natural state. I just like to give them a chance to survive another hundred years, for our future brother collectors. lol

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a tube of black lead. You know the stuff for blacking and polishing cast iron fire grates etc? Works perfectly and is indistinguishable from most finishes. I only tamper if the rust is quite invasive and threatens the integrity of the cross though. Just a dab of this stuff worked in with a fine artists paintbrush with the bristles cut down so that they are stubby and a bit stiffer works well once any loose oxidation has been removed.

Cheers,

Glenn.