News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A 1st S-Boat with stick pin for evaluation

I am sorry gentlemen, I found out that this is a forgery due to the sharp scoop.

I am trying to find reference books on the Kriegsmarine badges. I am trying to get the John Angolia "Die Kriegsmarine" 3 volume set. I only have been able to get the 3rd volume.

Gordon Williamson offered me another good reference but it is not available and hasn't been for several years.

I really am trying to do research and to not waste the forum members time.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

Regards,

2dresq

Yes, one of the better quality fakes, but still easy enought to identify if you know what to look for. Another indicator is that original Schwerin pieces have the wing root on one side solid ( the area around the eagle's beak). Easiest seen from the reverse. Even this isn't fool proof though as some copies have corrected this feature.

With good originals of this badge now selling for anything between $1200 and $2000 if in somewhere between very good to minty condition, buying a fake can be a very expensive mistake.

The Angolia Kriegsmarine set is very hard to find now. It won't help you too much on badges as coverage of them is limited. It is more of a uniforms study.

"Die Auszeichnungen der Kriegsmarine" is excellent but long out of print and very expensive if you can find one. However, it covers everything the KM soldier could earn so also has things like the Long Service Awards, Iron Crosses, War Merit Crosses etc and doesn't go into great detail on the various makers. Photos of the badges aren't too big either and only in black and white. Nevertheless a superb book.

My new book on Kriegsmarine badges should be out later this year. With the generous assistance of several members from GMIC and GCA, we have assembled over 1000 photos showing mutli-angle shots of all the accepted manufacturers examples of each badge and a good range of the so far unidentified, unmarked specimens plus awards documents, wartime photos of the badges being worn etc.