News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Marshal's Badge, a rare original

Paul L Murphy

I have been requested to post photos of the Marshal's badge that is in my collection. It is also posted in higher resolution in the OMSA online database but here it is for all in the GMIC.

First up, the outer wooden box with gold coloured applied chrysanthemum seal.

Next up the inner lacquer box with "Marshal's Badge" and another Chrysanthemum seal on the lid.

And now for the badge itself. These photos do not do it justice. The quality of manufacture is amazing and it is made from a combination of solid gold and silver gilt. The date on the reverse is not the date of award bestowal (as stated in Peterson) but is the date of foundation of the award. The fakes do not even come close to the quality of this piece. There were only 31 japanese and 1 foreign recipient and very few of these are outside museums. Unfortunately I cannot take any more photos at the moment since this is locked away in a bank vault due to the value.

First we have the obverse

:cheers:

Paul, if not too personal, are you able to share with us how you came across this piece? Truly outstanding!!

I purchased it when I lived in Tokyo. The dealer from whom I bought it was one of the top dealers in Japan and had purchased it from the family. He also had the Marshal's Sword which belonged to Higashi Fushimi no Mia but that was way out of my budget range.

I purchased it when I lived in Tokyo. The dealer from whom I bought it was one of the top dealers in Japan and had purchased it from the family. He also had the Marshal's Sword which belonged to Higashi Fushimi no Mia but that was way out of my budget range.

What a treat! I assume it'll be in your forthcoming book? Hint, hint.

Hugh