News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Yellow-blue-red suggest Columbia-Ecuador-Venezuela.

If these are NOT some sort of American genealogical/patriotic societies' ribbons (and I have a local Major's group who tried THAT on to impress with things like Society of the Descendants of Colonial Clergy!) that's where I'd look--

Central to South America.

Rick,

I've seen the last ribbon on the lower right before somewhere and it's ringing a bell as European...? Also think I have seen the others. Chinese? Don't think this is a "put-together for fun" set.

Harrier

Edited by Harrier

Guest Rick Research

I don't know if my Inner Bells ring louder... or there is just more space for the clapper to swing... :rolleyes: but I was right--

check out Antonio Prieto Barrio's wonderful ribbons website

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas/cintasam.htm#a

the yellow-blue-reds are still rather a mystery since there are so MANY that used those ribbons but the last one is

Panama, Order of Vasco Nu?ez de Gama (knight class if correctly worn without exotic devices, created 1937)

Guest Rick Research

Now all you have to do is work out WHEN he made Admiral and back-track. As a WW1 veteran, career officer, he must have been fairly senior and attached to the Canal Zone during the war at some point--bet that's what the star on the American Defense indicates. I suspect the exotic class devices that would be on the lower three ribbons simply weren't available, also disguising exactly what they were (to help with rank at the time).

WW1 veteran... China 1930s... Canal Zone circa WW2... Pacific WW2... pre-Korea....

Most likely to be: (1) Venezuela Order of the Liberator (also known as the Bust of Bolivar); Ecuador Order of Abdon Calderon; Panama Order of Vasco Nunez de Balboa.

While a Canal Zone assignment is highly plausible, he could equally have been an attache. Prior to WWII, it was not uncommon for attaches to be accredited to multiple countries in Latin America.

Thanks, Jeff!

An interesting combination. Fellow seems to have qualified for 6 Pacific battle stars and multiple LOM's and Bronze Stars ( if those are holes for additional awards on the ribbon), but no Navy Cross or Navy DSM or aviation-related awards. Would be nice to figure this one out.