News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Obscure Argonauts

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

1) This one says "Goluchowski" on back, thank God!

Which allowed me to find this fellow in the 1905 directory of Franz Joseph Order holders:

I figured he HAD to have gotten one, since he's wearing the Grand Cross of the Order of St. Stephan.

Silly me, I always thought that the Golden Fleece went ONLY to monarchs, dynastic princes, and really (REALLY) important/deserving people like the Duke of Wellington during the Napoleonic Wars.

Never realized it was handed out to all and sundry. :rolleyes:

PS note that he is wearing BOTH the 1898 Court AND civil service jubilee medals! Was that CORRECT to wear BOTH?

Guest Rick Research

2)"Archduke Joseph"

Apparently Franz Joseph's grandfather's brother's son, General der Kavallerie. (They had lots of spare Archdukes but not enough heirs, sigh) 1833-1905.

There is a tint date impressed in the corner "1899." Cabinet card made by Keller Karolyi Budapest.

Guest Rick Research

3) "Graf Kalnoky" (no prize for guessing when this was made by V. Angerer, Wien)

Haven't been able to turn up a first name or dates for this OBSCURE Feldmarschalleutnant. All I have found is that the FULL family name was

Graf von Kalnoky de K?r?spatak.

The rest of them are even :unsure: worse. So I'll pause here. :catjava:

For a reigning monarch type recipient, see:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtop...st&p=336958

Guest Rick Research

This rather droopy 1980s sit-com looking fellow (from the 1880s?) is identified as "Minister-Pr?sident Graf Scribble" :banger:

Taffe? Tahse? Another :sleep: titan in history's path haven't been able to FIND!

My childhood belief that the Golden Fleece MEANT something has been severely bruised looking at this sorry lot. :(

3) "Graf Kalnoky" (no prize for guessing when this was made by V. Angerer, Wien)

Haven't been able to turn up a first name or dates for this OBSCURE Feldmarschalleutnant. All I have found is that the FULL family name was

Graf von Kalnoky de K?r?spatak.

His Name is Gustav Graf K?lnoky von K?r?spatak. He was awarded with Order of Golden Fleece in 1887. In 1895 he was awarded with brilliants to his Grancross of St. Stephen Order..

Guest Rick Research

Thank you both VERY much! :jumping::cheers: I have inherited quite a bit of K.u.k. material, which is completely outside my knowledge. Much appreciated!