News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian Officer Albert Rose with Coburg medals

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Oh ho ho! NEVER have I seen such a thing....

not for an Iron Cross!

"I deserve one because..." as if simple length of war service sufficed...

and apparently it DID (for officers :catjava: ) because he GOT one. I wonder what some poor DRAFTEE who served "4 1/2 years at the front" would have gotten putting himself in for an EK 1 BECAUSE he had been 4 1/2 years at the front? :rolleyes:

I have a group to a Prussian reserve doctor who ALSO served 4 1/2 years at the front (Western, Eastern, Finnish and Turkish!) in 16 different units... and never received a GERMAN decoration after his EK2 in October 1914! :speechless1: He apparently didn't know he could have nominated HIMSELF for an EK1! :cheeky:

Rose's grievance about brevet promotion to Major dR aD was rather more meritorious. The Official Reply in 1920 that HE had missed the time limit to have applied for that promotion was most unsatisfactory. That WAS a simple question of time-- as defined by Patents. Note that the 1914 date he quotes as Rittmeister der Reserve was actually BACKDATED-- his actual promotion was on 15.02.15. But such seniority adjustments WERE entirely normal.

This is an absolutely amazing set of documents.

Thanks Rick for your comments. When I think this group was in a dealer since several years and nobody wants it. I don't understand. Good point for me, I am lucky and I decide to buy it immediatly. Perharps, next time I will have a CM2x document made during the war with nice Coburg Calligraphies.

Christophe