News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RORKE'S DRIFT SHIELD - 1879

This interesting Zulu War (1879) shield is the usual fighting size and is called an UMBUMBULULU. The larger shield - more for ceremonial use - although , it could be used in battle, was called an ISHILUNGU. I don't have space here to show a close-up of the top of the shield - where there is a small diagonal hole - this exactly fits a British Martini Henry bayonet. There is also a sword,or bayonet slash on one side. The porcupine quills showed the bearer was a chief - or, Induna. He was also left handed and carried this shield in his right hand.

All Impis or, regiments wore distinctive decorations and carried a shield - from a bull of the King's Nguni cattle - with similar colour and spot size. This one is red and white (Zulus used to call brown - red.). This was the iDhondlo Impi and they were one of the three impis under the King's half brother - Dubalamanzi - who were sent around the back of the mountain. He resented not being in the main battle and went against the King's orders not to cross the Buffalo River. He did so, and attacked Rorke's Drift - which was defended by a small number of men - incl. 'B' Company of the 2nd. Bn. The 24 th. Regt.. The attack took place on the 23rd of Jan. 1879 - and the defence earnt the highest number of V.C's awarded for one battle. Of course, the day before we had been defeated at Isandlawana. In this photo the young Zulu holding it is my assistant, who helps with the w/chair.

What a great piece of history and thanks for the history lesson.

Far too often we don't get the the history with the posted item.

Like many here on the GMIC I am very interested in this era of British history and the Zulu themselves.

Regards

Brian

The shield came-in to us about 15 years ago - and we are not at all anxious to have it sold. Even the main Zulu museum doesn't have as good an example. We gave them - again many years ago - the only redcoat uniform that they have for the 24th. - the left sleeve had the tear from the spear and blood, stained the whole area - it turns rusty brown with age. We had it brought in from an old Zulu Kraal - or, village.

I should have given the size- 48" (122cm) high x 18.5" (47cm) wide.

We obviously have a number of historic items and I will post some of the spears - incl. an Iklwa or, short stabbing spear. There are also a number of other interesting items which would show some of their life from 140 years ago - however, they are not all military ?

Helen - from Pitt Rivers Museum , mentioned that they have over 100 items - these would be fantastic, as they are obviously of this period.

Let's hope others find this of interest and that we 'don't bore the pants off them !!'

I am adding this original print from the Illutrated London News of 1879, since it shows an Umbumbululu in use. Coghill and Melville managed to escape the slaughter at Isandlawana and holding the colours of the the 24th and The Queen's they managed to ride down Fugitives' Trail, being attacked by warriors. When they reached the Buffalo River, with one horse, they managed to ford the fast flowing water - losing both Colours - when they reached the further bank a party of Zulu Warriors was waiting for them and they were both killed. Their joint grave - a cairn of stones and a memorial cross - stands just a few metres from where they died. When regulations were changed to allow V.C.'s to be awarded after the death of the recipient - they were the first two to be so honoured. They were both Lieutenants in the 1st. Battalion the 24th Regt.. I can promise you, that to visit the site is a very moving experience ...

The pattern of sword dropped on the ground is the 1845 Inf. Officers - with gilt brass fittings. To see a lovely example of one have a look at the sub forum which covers swords - it is from RickS.

Only one standard was recovered from the river - although many parties were sent out. I think it was the Queens Ensign and it is now in the Welsh Regt. museum at Brecon.