News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal MM34

Douglas Jr.

Dear Douglas - I share your frustration. You posted a rare and very interesting weapon - with a background to a German firearm of great importance and I am surprised that more members have not commented. I think the simple truth , is that there are not that many firearm and sword collectors on GMIC. Certainly, there are experts - that is very obvious when you read their posts - but, they don't always feel qualified or, wish to comment. I find this also to be the case on Navy and RAF. Pity - but at least a lot have looked. I was thinking of replying , but I get a little embarrased seeing my name keep coming up. Anyway - thankyou for posting this weapon - I certainly enjoyed reading the info. I always remember an exhibition I helped put-on when I was in the Met. - the City of London Police loaned us the original weapons re-covered after the famous siege of Sidney Street in 1910 (three policemen were shot dead) - these included an original Mauser.

Best wishes Mervyn

Quite an impressive firearm. If the workmanship was as good, an improvement over the Mauser which has always been one of my favorites. The ribbed barrel is especially nice. Looks like they expected a lot of rapid firing. Do the 2 thingies in the butt regulate rate of fire, and if so, how?

BTW, this is the first time I've seen this post. I don't get out of Imperial much.

Mervyn, Tom an Keenan,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I?m sorry for having expressed my frustration so openly, but I couldn?t help. The feedback was so great when I posted this Royal MM34 on collectable guns-oriented forums that I wrongly hope to read the same here ? which is a more medal oriented board.

According to a copy of the MM34's instruction book that was sent to me by a fellow collector the rate of firing is the following:

Position 1: 2-3 shots per second

Position 2: 5-6 shots per second

Position 3: 9-10 shots per second

The device works as an additional recoil spring, slowing the rate of fire by increasing the tension in that piston.

Douglas

Mervyn, Tom an Keenan,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I?m sorry for having expressed my frustration so openly, but I couldn?t help. The feedback was so great when I posted this Royal MM34 on collectable guns-oriented forums that I wrongly hope to read the same here ? which is a more medal oriented board.

According to a copy of the MM34's instruction book that was sent to me by a fellow collector the rate of firing is the following:

Position 1: 2-3 shots per second

Position 2: 5-6 shots per second

Position 3: 9-10 shots per second

The device works as an additional recoil spring, slowing the rate of fire by increasing the tension in that piston.

Douglas

So, light spring 9-10

Heavy spring 5-6

Both springs 2-3

Verdad?

N?o exatamente meu amigo!

As far as I could understand, both the standard recoil spring (which located inside the bolt) and this device installed inside the grips work together all the time. However, the tension inside the piston can be regulated by the three-position switch over the left grip.

The whole breech system is connected with the controlling device by a flat lever that does not appear in the pictures.

Douglas.

• 1 month later...

Douglas - thought I would 'alert' you in case you - or any other members - might have an interest in an original 1899 Mauser 'Broomhandle' wooden stock/case. I would think they could be fairly rare on their own. Will put on the For Sale section later today. The lady who brought it in said it had been complete and in the family for years - however, the pistol had been stolen.

Douglas - thought I would 'alert' you in case you - or any other members - might have an interest in an original 1899 Mauser 'Broomhandle' wooden stock/case. I would think they could be fairly rare on their own. Will put on the For Sale section later today. The lady who brought it in said it had been complete and in the family for years - however, the pistol had been stolen.

Mervyn

Thanks for the heads up!

I will check your sale topic later.

Douglas

• 3 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

G'day Doug,

I've been searching for some decent photos of this rare gun for some time.

I've just found this website and joined mainly to see your pictures, which are great.

You have exceeded my expectations.

Thanks and well done Mate - I for one really appreciated this post.

Cheers

Paul

G'day Doug,

I've been searching for some decent photos of this rare gun for some time.

I've just found this website and joined mainly to see your pictures, which are great.

You have exceeded my expectations.

Thanks and well done Mate - I for one really appreciated this post.

Cheers

Paul