News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More enigmatic Soviet badges

Another three queries to stimulate the grey matter . . . are the first two items shown below fantasies or not:

The large badge was sent to me as a helmet badge -but who would wear such a thing? The wings look to be hand-finished, but they look to have been cast originally, in a slight curve. The hammer and wrench look to have been stamped from sheet brass and the red star is a standard badge. The whole has a wingspan of 150mm, with a single screw fastener.

The second badge has a wingspan of 80mm and has the standard bend-over strips as fasteners. This is similar to the collar badge of the Military Communications, but of course much larger. From the fasteners, it was a head-dress badge. This actual badge came via South Africa and was supposed to have been "liberated" in Angola - but we have all heard these "Tales from the Dealers", so a pinch of salt all round.

[attachmentid=17359]

[attachmentid=17360]

The third badge I have to show this time is the badge of the Army Honour Guard, for Sergeants and Other Ranks. This is the only pattern of the 'top badge' I have seen, but there was, I believe a similar badge, which had a red star in the centre. Can anyone confirm this or - better still -show a picture of the ctual badge?

Many thanks,

Brian

[attachmentid=17362]