News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What is this medal?

Paul R

I have had this medal for a few years now. I got it really inexpensively off of Ebay back in 2001(less than 10 dollars). I think that it was sold as a Lifesaving medal. What can be told about it? I look forward to any input!

Regards

Paul

A very good investment for $10! This is a State Decoration of the Russian Federation.

Life Saving Medal (Медаль За спасение погибавших).

Instituted on 9 March 1994, it is awarded to citizens of the Russian Federation and foreign citizens for saving lives during natural disasters, floods, while fire-fighting and in other life threatening circumstances.

Edited by TacHel

Thank you for the information!

I do not want to sell it, as I like Lifesaving medals, but what is the current value of this medal? Do you have any clues as to the number awarded thus far?

Sorry for the many questions...

I find it shocking that a medal of this caliber would be for sale on Ebay less than seven years after it was awarded...

Thank you for writing the name of the award in Russian... I was able to find this:

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9C%D0%B5%...%B8%D1%85%C2%BB

Medal " For rescue perished " - the state award of the Russian Federation founded by the decree of the President of the Russian Federation from March, 2nd, 1994 № 442.

[To correct] Regulations about of a medal " For rescue perished "

The medal " For rescue perished " awards citizens for rescue of people during acts of nature, on water, under the ground, at suppression of fires and under other circumstances.

The medal " For rescue perished " rushes on the left party of a breast and at presence of other medals of the Russian Federation settles down after a medal " For courage ".

[To correct] the Description of a medal " For rescue perished "

Medal " For rescue perished " from silver. It has the form of a circle in diameter of 32 mm with a convex side from both parties. On a face sheet - the relief image of a sign on an award of Courage.

On the back, in the left part, - the image полувенка from palm, laurel and oak branches. In the right part - a relief inscription: " For rescue perished " and number of a medal. The medal by means of ушка and rings incorporates with pentagonal колодкой, the fitted silk moire tape of white color to strips of red color along edges. Width of a tape - 24 mm, width of strips - 2 mm.

You can also find it on this Wiki site which I've been working on for the better part of the last 15 months.

As for an actual value... Russian Federation ODMs are still only trickling out of Russian. It is illegal to export such items, unfortunately this has boosted prices on some items way above their actual worth.

But as a State Decoration, even if awarded a great many times, it still has a base value. Any such award found on the western market for under $75 is a great bargain. I've seen them go for near $150, but that's a bit much IMHO.

I don't know how many have been awarded to date, but I have no doubt that any early piece (low number) will be worth quite a lot down the road like for Soviet awards.

ADDENDA

To be honest with you, and IMHO, the main reason for such Russian ODMs to sometimes sell for so little is the apparent and almost complete lack of interest from the collecting community via-?-vis modern Russian awards. I don't understand this at all... But am taking advantage of it before interest does go up along with the prices!

Edited by TacHel

I have had this medal for a few years now. I got it really inexpensively off of Ebay back in 2001(less than 10 dollars). I think that it was sold as a Lifesaving medal. What can be told about it? I look forward to any input!

Regards

Paul

You can show a medal largely? :cheers:

Regards

Roman