News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photos with questions

As i have a couple of more photos where I need help, i decided to make a threat where i can post all the photos. So lets start with this one:

I presum its an austrian soldier? Dated June 1918 can anyone recognize the collarinsignia and also is this a watch he is wearing?

Guest Rick Research

Austrian Elektro-Bataillon Gefreiter. Yes, he has a POCKET watch worn on a gigantic leather carrying frame/wrist strap. Quite common since wristwatches then were new and too expensive for ordinary people.

The 1919 Provisional Reichsheer (in full regulation :speechless1: "splendor") Feldwebel appears to be wearing the sleeve oakleaves without deer skull of the Ostpreussischen J?gerkorps Gieseler (Ager insignia #34) BUT from his ribbons I'd say he was either a W?rttemberger or a Badener.

If there is a name on back and he was from W?rttemberg, then at least his wartime Wtbg awards should turn upin the Personal Nachrichten.

It is highly unusual to see anyone in complete conformity with the weird 1919 uniform regulations, but he is.

And another one quite interesting i think, theres no writing or stamp on the backside, but I think its photographed at the end of 20s/early 30ies. Quite Interesting Medals, can the man be identified by his medals? Must be a fairly rich family by the look of the brides clothes and necklace.

Best Regards V.

Edited by Vetinari

Guest Rick Research

Yes indeed. That is Reichsheer officer Hans Graf von Kanitz(1893-1968, later Generalmajor). Here he is a Rittmeister in Reiter Regiment 2-- a rank he was promoted to on 1 March 1925.

What he is doing with a Schaumburg-Lippe Honor Cross 2nd Class ( :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: ) not immediately explicable.

Did he marry a Princess of Schaumburg?

:speechless1::speechless1: :speechless1:

Yes indeed. That is Reichsheer officer Hans Graf von Kanitz(1893-1968, later Generalmajor). Here he is a Rittmeister in Reiter Regiment 2-- a rank he was promoted to on 1 March 1925.

What he is doing with a Schaumburg-Lippe Honor Cross 2nd Class ( :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: ) not immediately explicable.

Did he marry a Princess of Schaumburg?

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Thank you so much Rick here is the brides name and time of marriage and maybe that explains the Honorcross:

Married 29 September 1932 Detmold

Princess Karoline zur Lippe, daughter of Leopold IV, F?rst zur Lippe and Princess Berta von

Hessen-Philippsthal-Barchfeld

PS: I love collecting photos more and more ;)

Edited by Vetinari

Here is another quite interesting photo (also its another timeframe as the pictures posted before), just for your viewing pleasure. Shows a Father with his sons, sadly there is no writing on the back. Nr. 29 is Motorstandarte Lindau as far as i know. Interesting also the Political Leader. Best Regards V.

And another two photos with some questions, so not german but ...

1. Photo is this a Serbian soldier, what award is he wearing and is this a special regiment?

2. Photo, am i wright that this is a czech mountaintropper (Falcons on his sleeve) what timeframe could this be, early 20ies? Regards V.

squint-squint-

The Serb medal is a markmans' (expert weapon) medal. The Yugoslavians gave medals for weapons expertise (unlike the US which has a small badge with bars).

I do not know his regiment, but I think he's an NCO of some sort.

• 2 weeks later...

And another question. This is a SA-Member, but as far as I know the Uniform of the SA was brown also the caps. He is wearing a black cap and uniform how can this be? Also does anybody know where the unit 44/178 was based and which rank this guy has. Thanks V.

Guest Rick Research

No-- he is a recruit in the Bavarian Landespolizei. Enlisted ranks had that metal collar insignia, while officers had the "usual" Litzen on their dark green uniforms.

Silly hats were apparently very "fashionable" for LaPo officers in the early 1920s! :cheeky:

This Weimar era LaPo should not be confused with the "Landespolizei" who were part of the secret expanding Wehrmacht of circa 1933-34 all over Germany. In that same period, normal enlisted Litzen were added to these enlisted policemen's collars in Bavaria.

In 1933/34 you would have a really hard time telling a police LaPo man from an army "LaPo" man-- but yours is a real policeman, before then. From his shoulder rank, probably a probationary patrolman just out of training.

Thank you Rick :cheers: !

I bought this photo from ebay, when I saw the photographers stamp from Augsburg, i was thinking that he is maybe a Freikorpsmember. If you look at the collarpatches at the other thread with the fighting in Augsburg, theres was a bit of lookalike. Regards Konrad

• 2 months later...