News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baden MKFV Medal 1871 Award Document

Guest Rick Research

Because he has either been very very good or has not gotten caught lately, the Traveling Museum brought this one by to be Epsonized just for Sascha. Now we know why people collect Baden awards but not Baden paperwork. :rolleyes:

Despite its ugliness, I find this fascinating for a number of reasons. It is some sort of proto-pre-mimeographed partially printed form, with the relevant details filled in.

"Auszug" up top suggests it was handed to the recipient for his own copy-- but was this IT as an award document?

The text suggest that there were generic awards for a number of small state awards approved by Prussia, with a Roman numeral and then the name of whatever awardwas actually being authorized.

Unteroffizier Marggrander alo received a Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class-- as a Sergeant:

Guest Rick Research

I wonder if the number 55 at top left indicates the number of THIS MKFVM of those awarded for the Franco-Prussian War?

What were the awards Roman numeralled as I to VII?

Close up of the actual issuing official's signature "Sternberg" and embossed paper Baden Orders Chancery seal:

Marggrander wasn't in the 1902 Baden Hof und Staats Handbuch or 1908/09 Orders Almanac so I have nothing else on him.

Guest Rick Research

Nope. One lone document. I just sit here on the island waiting for visitors to bring Nice Things for the most famous Epson in the world to scan.

[...] just for Sascha. Now we know why people collect Baden awards but not Baden paperwork. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Mr. Research and Mr. Museum! :cheers: Those are really not the nicest paperworks around.

"Auszug" up top suggests it was handed to the recipient for his own copy-- but was this IT as an award document?

At least I think so. have never seen anything else for 1870/71, but on the other hand, I think I have not seen many... I think I even saw this one before - Mr. Museum has recently been to Kirchheim, right?! :rolleyes: