News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Irish Model 1927 "Vickers" Helmet.

I can't find my photos of my helmet, I can't find posts about the helmet that I thought were already up, so here goes a whole new thread just to ask a question:

I was under the impression that these helmets (which I've read of variously as 1926, 1927 & 1928 models) were painted black & also in white for Civil Defence, circa WWII (the one I have was white painted, so flaky it's a job to kkep it on the helmet nowadyas).

But I recently saw a description of a 1930's artillery NCO as wearing an all black painted helmet with front mounted badge, with parade dress, & now I read "The Model 1927 Irish Free State Helmet" article on line I note that it states:

"The official period of use for the M27 was from 1927 to 1939, when a change of heart took place and Tommy?s helmet was adopted. This was no doubt in part due to the events taking place on the continent at that time. While officially a neutral country during the period, a large number of the helmets were painted white and issued to Civil Authorities during WW2. These are the helmets that most often appear on the collector?s market today. They also appear with a black coating of paint, of unidentified origin, over the white".

Any ideas whether black painted lids were worn by the army, pre WWII?

I can't find my photos of my helmet, I can't find posts about the helmet that I thought were already up, so here goes a whole new thread just to ask a question:

I was under the impression that these helmets (which I've read of variously as 1926, 1927 & 1928 models) were painted black & also in white for Civil Defence, circa WWII (the one I have was white painted, so flaky it's a job to kkep it on the helmet nowadyas).

But I recently saw a description of a 1930's artillery NCO as wearing an all black painted helmet with front mounted badge, with parade dress, & now I read "The Model 1927 Irish Free State Helmet" article on line I note that it states:

"The official period of use for the M27 was from 1927 to 1939, when a change of heart took place and Tommy's helmet was adopted. This was no doubt in part due to the events taking place on the continent at that time. While officially a neutral country during the period, a large number of the helmets were painted white and issued to Civil Authorities during WW2. These are the helmets that most often appear on the collector's market today. They also appear with a black coating of paint, of unidentified origin, over the white".

Any ideas whether black painted lids were worn by the army, pre WWII?

In 2003 i visited the old museum in Collins Barracks in Cork city. They have maybe 15 of the M27 helmets on display of various colours and some with original front mounted badge. I think one of the historians there might be able to give you further information. The museum has moved to a new location in the Barracks and i think you still need to view by appointment only. I spoke to 2 people one being Gerry White, the barracks number is: 021 4514000.

Perhaps one of the most incredible items that was on display was the Comrac medal postumously awarded to Michael Collins.