News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pre-War Imperial German Documents to a General

Hello All,

This is my first posting so I hope I do not have too many mistakes with it but to get to the subject, I obtained a group of Imperial German documents all relating to a General Gustav Adolf Louis Hahn. The document that I have attached (hopefully) is dated 18 January 1900 and is signed by the Kaiser. I have been unable to find any information on a General Hahn in my searching except in a Rangelist that I have which I haven't been able to decipher. I have a total of seven (7) documents signed by the Kaiser (appear to be original signatures) also two (2) other documents, one date 27 November 1900 to Generalleutnant Hahn, Kommandeur der 9. Division, Groskreuz des Albrechtsorden and another about a 2. Armee-Inspektion dated Dresden 7 Dezember 1900. I would certainly be grateful to anyone who can help me with information on General Hahn and who can help me in translating the old german script on the documents. I can supply more scans of the other documents.

Terry

Sorry, I'm having some trouble getting the document properly sized for attaching.

Edited by 39inf

Hello All,

This is my first posting so I hope I do not have too many mistakes with it but to get to the subject, I obtained a group of Imperial German documents all relating to a General Gustav Adolf Louis Hahn. The document that I have attached (hopefully) is dated 18 January 1900 and is signed by the Kaiser. I have been unable to find any information on a General Hahn in my searching except in a Rangelist that I have which I haven't been able to decipher. I have a total of seven (7) documents signed by the Kaiser (appear to be original signatures) also two (2) other documents, one date 27 November 1900 to Generalleutnant Hahn, Kommandeur der 9. Division, Groskreuz des Albrechtsorden and another about a 2. Armee-Inspektion dated Dresden 7 Dezember 1900. I would certainly be grateful to anyone who can help me with information on General Hahn and who can help me in translating the old german script on the documents. I can supply more scans of the other documents.

Terry

Sorry, I'm having some trouble getting the document properly sized for attaching.

Terry,

What level of detail of information are you looking for? For starters, Gen.Lt. Louis Hahn was, as evidenced by this award document, commander of the 9. Division (21.04.1898-18.05.1901). Prior to that, he commanded the 3rd Field artillery brigade (17.03.94-21.03.98) and Field Artillery Regiment 16 (24.03.1890-17.03.1894). He was born 27.10.1842. None of my sources list his date of death, to include Reinhard Montag's list of Generals. Odd for a Gen.Lt. that no one knows when he was called to the Grand Army!

I'd be quite interested to see the remainder of the documents- always nice to have several to an individual.

Andy

Edited by arb

Guest Rick Research

Said document being for the Prussian Order of the Red Eagle 2nd Class with Oakleaves-- worn at the neck, the Oakleaves indicating he had previously routinely received the 3rd and 4th classes. That award is shown at the neck in this closeup:

Very odd indeed that he could have wandered off and been unaccounted for! :speechless1:

He was still alive in 1908, since he paid to be listed in the 1908/09 Orders Almanac.

Terry,

What level of detail of information are you looking for? For starters, Gen.Lt. Louis Hahn was, as evidenced by this award document, commander of the 9. Division (21.04.1898-18.05.1901). Prior to that, he commanded the 3rd Field artillery brigade (17.03.94-21.03.98) and Field Artillery Regiment 16 (24.03.1890-17.03.1894). He was born 27.10.1842. None of my sources list his date of death, to include Reinhard Montag's list of Generals. Odd for a Gen.Lt. that no one knows when he was called to the Grand Army!

I'd be quite interested to see the remainder of the documents- always nice to have several to an individual.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for your help. You have already supplied me with more information than I had. As soon as I get the time to scan all of the documents and figure out how to do better job of attaching them I'll post them. Its quite an interesting set of documents so I am interested in finding all I can about General Hahn. It would be nice run across a post card photo of him in uniform.

Terry