News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 156
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just popped in to view this thread and found it superb. Congratulations lads on posting some outstanding photo's & illustrations. At one time I owned a copy of KR's 1911(?) for the Royal Navy in which the R.Marines featured in dress etc. It also gave details of the gun turret and it's alphabetical letter, of those ships which were served by RM Gunners, as well as those served by the RN Gunners.

Hello David,

Actually I have obtained the original owner's records from the NA (I almost wrote PRO rolleyes.gif). The name, Division & number all figure in the tunic.

So please can you say when the 4th chevron was awarded ...... after how many years? I ask because I wrote [i believed] the definitive account of these badges for MHS Bulletin and, if RM rules were different, MHS will publish an update from me.

Surprised and disappointed that no badge of RM CSgt has been shown .... very colourful, lots of changes, and every bit as collectable as Guards Division.

Here we go, from Per Mare, Per Terram : A History of the Royal Marines, by Peter C. Smith (1974)

Left to right (I may be slightly wrong about the exact dates),

Top : RM, 1829-1856; RMLI, 1856-1869; RMA 1829-1856

Middle : RMLI, 1869-1902; RM 1922-1953; RMLI 1902-1922

Bottom : RMA, 1869-1902; RM 1953 onwards; RMA 1902-1922

colsgt10.jpg

Eric

So please can you say when the 4th chevron was awarded ...... after how many years? I ask because I wrote [i believed] the definitive account of these badges for MHS Bulletin and, if RM rules were different, MHS will publish an update from me.

David,

I will check this evening.

Cheers

Eric

Here we go, from Per Mare, Per Terram : A History of the Royal Marines, by Peter C. Smith (1974)

Left to right (I may be slightly wrong about the exact dates),

Top : RM, 1829-1856; RMLI, 1856-1869; RMA 1829-1856

Middle : RMLI, 1869-1902; RM 1922-1953; RMLI 1902-1922

Bottom : RMA, 1869-1902; RM 1953 onwards; RMA 1902-1922

colsgt10.jpg

Eric

Many many thanks : badges fabulous!

David,

According to the records of PLY 1834 LANE Henry, who enlisted on 13th January 1879, the GC chevrons were awarded :

one : 13 Jan 1881

two : 13 Jan 1885

three : 13 Jan 1891

four : 9 Jan 1895

five : 8 Jan 1900

He was discharged, still a private, on 13 Jan 1900.

Cheers

Eric

He was an exemplary soldier regarding conduct.

The periods [up to turn of century] were

2,6,12,18*,23*,28* years, with acceleration by two years for the * items, which he achieved.

One assumes he went to full pension at 21 years. One doubts if his last badge ever got sewn on!

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd add some RM, RMLI buttons with various makers and crowns.

Firstly Royal Marine Light Infantry with what appears to be a Victoria crown? Made by 'Smith and Wright Ltd, Birmingham' and made of brass.

Another Kings crown RM button this time in bright brass and made by a company called 'Buttons Ltd, BhAM' with a scissors trade mark.

I think the marks a pair of crossed swords rather than scissors isn't it?

The button at post no. 119 - blackened or bronzed? - officer's quality with that "solid" lookng milled down back?

Post amalgamation to form The Royal Marines, RMLI buttons were still sought after & worn by those who could find them as they they were of a brighter & softer brass than the RM ones, apparently.