News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Guys,

Can anyone clarify for me the criteria for the anti-partisan bagde. I know it was awarded for `days combat`, but how did they define days combat, as surely the partisans wouldn`t stand and fight for days on end, they`d have used hit and run tactics, very much like the insurgents in Iraq of today? The troops might spend days weeks or months before ever seeing a partisan surely, if ever seeing one/some at all?

Anyone any ideas?

Edited by The Monkey God

I expect in a lot of cases the 'days in combat' would be from the start of a units participation in an anti-partisan operation (Operation Kormoran, Operation Sturmwind I & II to name just 3 of hundreds of various anti-partisan ops) to the date it was withdrawn or the operation came to an end.

I expect in a lot of cases the 'days in combat' would be from the start of a units participation in an anti-partisan operation (Operation Kormoran, Operation Sturmwind I & II to name just 3 of hundreds of various anti-partisan ops) to the date it was withdrawn or the operation came to an end.

Thanks Huck, that makes sense.

I assume then in order to qualify you had to have been involved in the `operation` in some roll, but not necessarily, engaged in `combat`. This would explain why Himmler awarded himself the award in gold?

For Luftwaffe flight personnel they had to accumulate 30, 75 & 150 operational flights connected with an anti-partisan operation to be eligible for the award, so it wasn't just restricted to ground combat troops.

For Luftwaffe flight personnel they had to accumulate 30, 75 & 150 operational flights connected with an anti-partisan operation to be eligible for the award, so it wasn't just restricted to ground combat troops.

Now that is interesting!!! I assume then that the ground crew would also be eligable for the award?

Now that is interesting!!! I assume then that the ground crew would also be eligable for the award?

I don't think so, no. The criteria was for operational sorties in support of anti-partisan operations whereas a ground crew would not of been on any operational sorties and could of been many miles from the area of operations. I have no idea how many APB's were awarded in total but I don't think it was a huge number, certainly not when compared to other combat awards, due to the late introduction of the award.

I have to be honest and say I don't know, but considering medics (not those operating in field hospitals, but actually ones with the fighting troops) & engineers were usually not too far from the scene of action and could of been caught up in the fighting (especially assault pioneers) it could be a possibility. I would think also that 'days in combat' would run along the lines of the Close Combat Clasp in that someone higher up would determine if a day in contact actually counted towards the total or not.