News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lieutenant R. Ruddle UVR

I am seeking information on an inscription on the barrel of a rather rough condition Webley revolver. I believe it is a Webley Mark V (though all the birdshead Webleys look about the same to me). Engraved in flowing script on the right side of the barrel is :

Lieut. R. Ruddle. UVR

It is a little hard to read due to the flourishes in the lettering. I have attached a picture.

What does UVR stand for, and can any information be dug up on Lieutenant Ruddle? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Trust me, the engraving is is pretty beat up with light pitting over the engraving. I have no reason to believe the engraving isn't more or less contemporary with the revolver.

By the way, I examined the revolver more closely and it is not a Mark V as stated in my original post. It is in fact a Webley Mark II.

What does UVR stand for, and can any information be dug up on Lieutenant Ruddle? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Perhaps Uitenhage Volunteer Rifles. a Cape Colony unit that existed from 1892 to 1914. Does the pistol date from that period?

According to info I can find online, they were Ulster Volunteer Forces, not Volunteer Regiment. Good idea though.

According to Wikipedia, the MKII was adopted in 1895 and the next Webley to be issued (the MK IV) was issued in 1899. I imagine that in far flung areas, like South Africa, the MKII was available for some time after 1899. Bottom line, this revolver is right in the Uitenhage Volunteer Rifles time frame.

I think Volunteer regiment or Volunteer Rifles are the most likely candidates. Can anyone think of other Commonwealth areas that start with the letter U? I will follow up on the Uitenhage angle...

Thanks everyone for the input!