News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Any GMIC members in Yokohama?

FireMedals

I have a US Navy medal awarded to a sailor who died in Yokohama in the 1890's and is buried in the The Yokohama Foreign General Cemetery. I would like to find someone who lives in the area and might be able to try to find his grave and get a photo for me. According to the cemetery website they are open during the summer and apparently have a good record of the various burials over the years. I'd be happy to offer reimbursement for any expenses, and even pay for a snack at the local fried noodle stand. :D

Drop me a PM if you might be able to help.

Thanks,

FireMedals

• 3 months later...

My father is buried there. I go there at least once every three months. If you want I could browse around for you. George

George,

First, welcome to the GMIC. Hope you'll find it as good a resource for collecting as I have.

Thanks for replying to my message. I appreciate your offer. The man I am looking for is James Nelson, a US Navy sailor who died in Yokohama while on shore leave, in I think 1896. On his paperwork it is noted he was buried in the foreign cemetery in Yokohama. He was sleeping in a house when the flame on a gas lamp went out and the gas suffocated him in his sleep.

Unfortunately I am in the middle of trying to sell a house and move to a smaller one, and almost everything I own is in boxes, including most of my medal collection. I'm sorry I can't give a specific date of death, but I will try to locate the medal and his paperwork and send you anything I can find that may be of help.

I appreciate anything you might be able to provide.

Regards,

FireMedals

Hi Firemedals,

Thank you for the welcome, found this place by accident - certainly looking forward to any discourse related to Japanese militaria. Not an expert but very fascinated with the field.

Firstly, I should say that my handle for EBAY is NAHAMASURFER. I do not want to give the impression that I am just lurking around - being sneaky or anything and do not have an ulterior motive. Just looking for truth/knowledge/insight.

Good stuff for the name - James Nelson. I will defintely find it for you. I often stroll around and read tombstones. The only possible problem I can think of is legibility - depends on what the original stone was - I have seen some made from what looks like calcite. If there is a problem, I will ask the keeper there should be a record. Again, here I am not sure that the information is available to the public - but there should not be a problem. If you could give me some time, I sure would like to find the tombstone on my own. I have pretty much covered the entire area. Most of the older stones tend to be lumbed together by nationality or religion. This may take several months, but I will get the job done one way or another. Just to confirm, all you need is a picture of the stone?

Regards,

George Haynes

Nahamasurfer

Edited by JGUNTAI

• 2 years later...

I also have an uncle buried in this cemetery in 1911. He was a US sailor who was murdered while on shore leave. Someone I contacted in Japan said that the graves older than 1923 were destroyed in the Kanto earthquake, but obviously not all of them were. I even have his grave number 2175.

• 1 month later...

Hzenba,

Welcome to the Forum. It's nice of you to ask if all is well here after all your country has gone through in the last year. I lived in Japan for a while in 1970, one of the best times of my life. I hope all is well with you.

What is your collecting interests?

FireMedals

Many thanks for your post addressed direct to me. Also I am very well, thank you. My interests are m any, starting from UN medal and so on... Were you at Japan for? military purposes, business, or perhaps school? I was at International school in Tokyo. A priest from France taught me English when I was very small, before attending Int'l school. Well, he, this priest was one of the pilot shot down at Tokyo, I believe. And as far as I'm told, he was rescued by my grandfather who was police officer. He came back after WW2. As far as I know, he went back to France again right after I graduated high school.