News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This little guy has been subjected to a lot of smoke and bad storage conditions causing color change. What was the original award in the center?

Reverse. I think this is a smaller spange with only the owners high awards. I see no indication of tampering etc.

Guest Rick Research

Given the rust on those tabs, it will be (trust me) impossible to fiddle with them now. If it was ever screwed with, it was long, long ago.

The Wound Badge mini on Xs is a lapel bow device never used on ribbon bars... yet here this is.

I'd say this looks like a ribbon bar and is a ribbon bar but... it isn't a ribbon bar. :Cat-Scratch::rolleyes:

He probably wore it as a "straight" version of the usual "bow tie" on a civilian suit lapel-- though I've never seen a photo of that fashion statement in this size. :cheers:

This was a former Captain's bar, and certainly reasonable to believe this was complete as far as his ribboned awards went. Not enough time in for imperial long service or jubilees.

Wish I knew who made this silver bakelite plastic backing-- have seen awards from all over Germany so cannot even come up with a regional clue as to origin. I've seen these on bars with Hindenburg Crosses (so 1934+) and into WW2 awards.

Given the rust on those tabs, it will be (trust me) impossible to fiddle with them now. If it was ever screwed with, it was long, long ago.

The Wound Badge mini on Xs is a lapel bow device never used on ribbon bars... yet here this is.

I'd say this looks like a ribbon bar and is a ribbon bar but... it isn't a ribbon bar. :Cat-Scratch::rolleyes:

He probably wore it as a "straight" version of the usual "bow tie" on a civilian suit lapel-- though I've never seen a photo of that fashion statement in this size. :cheers:

This was a former Captain's bar, and certainly reasonable to believe this was complete as far as his ribboned awards went. Not enough time in for imperial long service or jubilees.

Wish I knew who made this silver bakelite plastic backing-- have seen awards from all over Germany so cannot even come up with a regional clue as to origin. I've seen these on bars with Hindenburg Crosses (so 1934+) and into WW2 awards.

Hello Rick, I have a nice surprise for you. I have an original Beko catalog from the Mid 1930s that shows the devices. I posted the entire thing on the WA but will post the page here with the devices :jumping: .

Edited by jhodgson

Guest Rick Research

Yup. Green with orange stripes dulled down to sort of tobacco color. The device was used on nothing else.

Yup. Green with orange stripes dulled down to sort of tobacco color. The device was used on nothing else.

Here is the page from the catalog. I suspected it was some type of aging reaction. Of course on WA it was pooh-poohed into the ashes.

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: :speechless1: Who and where was Beko? Are the plastic backings shown? Is that from before Wehrmacht long service awards-- because the infinite variety of eagle shapes is one of the "easiest" ways to spot manufacturers. :jumping::jumping::jumping::cheers:

Naughty naughty NAUGHTY people sticking wound badges on ribbons!!!

Green was a particularly difficult color to get color-fast, apparently. Often see such fading horrors on the Saxon Orders too. Lippe Detmold's WW1 Cross yellow with red and white stripes ribbon often petrifies a similar tobacco brown as hard as cooked bacon, so the material may play a role also.

:Cat-Scratch::speechless1: Who and where was Beko? Are the plastic backings shown? Is that from before Wehrmacht long service awards-- because the infinite variety of eagle shapes is one of the "easiest" ways to spot manufacturers. :jumping::jumping::jumping::cheers:

Naughty naughty NAUGHTY people sticking wound badges on ribbons!!!

Green was a particularly difficult color to get color-fast, apparently. Often see such fading horrors on the Saxon Orders too. Lippe Detmold's WW1 Cross yellow with red and white stripes ribbon often petrifies a similar tobacco brown as hard as cooked bacon, so the material may play a role also.

Sorry Rick, it is a "Beco" they were in Berlin. The whole catalog is posted on WA here:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=227827

The descriptions of the backing do not indicate the base material. I have another prewar catalog for Steinhauer and Luck and same deal. Thanks for the help on the ribbon bar. I was told "it does not have enough awards to have a highranking Lion award yadayada etc."

Edited by jhodgson

Guest Rick Research

Links to THAT website-- where I NEVER go, having been expelled in May 2005 and my ribbon bar article stolen-- do not work for everyone who does not PAY for the privilege of viewing scans. :beer:

Links to THAT website-- where I NEVER go, having been expelled in May 2005 and my ribbon bar article stolen-- do not work for everyone who does not PAY for the privilege of viewing scans. :beer:

I understand. It took me three days to resize photos and post them :speechless1: I am hesistant to do it again. That was two computers ago and I did not save the files. I will try to find time to post the illustrations of the backing plates from the Steinhauer Luck catalog but for now I can copy the one posted on WA and put it here for you to see of the Beco backings.

Edited by jhodgson