News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

IGS North West Frontier 1908 Medals

Hello Everyone,

I have always been interested in India and India's history both pre and post Indepencence. It would seem that there was always a lot of "problems" in the North West Frontier during the time of the British Raj and therefore it is ripe with history. The North East Frontier was probably just as volatile but that, as they say, is another story. The 1908 IGS, North West Frontier Medal was issued in both silver and bronze. The bronze was to non-combatants such as labourers. The silver was, of course, for the regular military.

Here is a short history of the campaigns that prompted the issuance of this medal.

On the North West Frontier of India British and Indian forces launched campaigns in 1908 against the Zakka Khel and the Mohmands. The Zakka Khel were located south of the Khyber Pass and was the lesser of the two campaigns. The more serious campaign was against the Hill Mohmands who were located north of Peshawar. Both of theses groups were long standing enemies of the British and were responsible for countless raids into British held India for years. The British launched many punitive campaigns against such tribes along the northern frontier in an attempt to stop such raids and to bring peace to the area. For more information check out Peter Duckers book on the subject, it is a wortwhile and very informative piece of work.

The two medals posted today are:

On the left, the bronze medal awarded to: Grass Cutter Amar or the 19th Lancers.

On the right, the silver version awarded to: 3482 Sepoy Sher Singh or the 59th Rifles.

As always anyone wishing to post their specimens on my post or has any comments are most welcome.

post-1801-1245616602_thumb.jpg

Here is the reverse of the two medals.

The reverse shows the fortress at Jamrud in the Khyber Pass.

For "type" medal collectors, which is what I am for the most part, the 1908 is a sweet medal to collect. Once you have laid out the cash for the silver and the bronze this part of the collection is complete. Unlike the IGS medals of King George V, which are numerous but for the most part affordable. I won't even get started on the cost of the Victorian era medals!

Of course if you are like me there is never a time when you can actually say, "there, that's it, I'm done" as there is always just one more to add.

Regards

Brian

post-1801-1245617101_thumb.jpg