News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Rising Sun -to Imp. German recipients

Claudius

Hello;

Is there a Japanese list of non-Japanese award holders? Specifically, for Germans who were awarded the Order of the Rising Sun -6th class and above.

Did the Japanese even keep such records?

The Japanese kept such a record (all awards were numbered consecutively in the award roll and there was a different roll for foreign recipients). Unfortunately all the medal and order rolls were destroyed in the fire bombing of Tokyo during WWII so the information is no longer available.

• 3 years later...

There were many awards to Imperial German Officers including:

Bismarck: Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum

Caprivi: Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun

Bernhard, Furst von Bulow: Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun, with Paulownia

Tirpitz: Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun, with Paulownia

Wilhelm II: Collar of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum

Prince Heinrich of Prussia: Collar of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum (he had earlier been decorated with the Grand Cordon of this Order)

Kronprinz Wilhelm: Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum

Prinz Eitel-Friedrich of Prussia: Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum

Prinz Adalbert of Prussia: Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum

GFM Karl von Bulow: Grand Cordon of the Order of the Sacred Treasure

GO Helmuth, Graf von Moltke: Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun, and Grand Cordon of the Order of the Sacred Treasure

there were many, many others

Claudius,

Well, there are some (Japanese written) sources, e.g. at the (online) Japan Center for Asian Historical Resource (“JACAR”).

For Imperial Germany, you can put it the other way round: with some (obviously) heavy time-consuming effort, you may be able to figure out any German recipients by using German sources. You know about my PhD project and I can recommend you following (German-written) books:

DEUTSCHER OFFIZIERS=BUND (1926): Ehren=Rangliste des ehemaligen Deutschen Heeres auf Grund der Ranglisten von 1914 mit den inzwischen eingetretenen Veränderungen. Berlin: Ernst Siegfried Mittler und Sohn.

KRIEGSMINISTERIUM, GEHEIME KRIEGS=KANZLEI (1914): Rangliste der Königlich Preußischen Armee und des XIII. (Königlich Württembergische) Armeekorps für 1914. Mit den Dienstalters-Listen der Generalität und der Stabsoffiziere und einem Anhange erhaltend das Reichsmilitärgericht, das Ostasiatische Detachement, die Marine-Infanterie, die Kaiserlichen Schutztruppen, die Gendarmerie-Brigade in Elsaß-Lothringen. Nach dem Stande vom 6. Mai 1914). Berlin: Ernst Siegfried Mittler und Sohn.

You will not only find any Japanese awards, but other non-German decoration as well!

BR, Chris

Hello all;

I'm really glad to see my old thread alive. Thank you beriwilliams and Chris for your responses. When I posted my question I was buying an imperial German medal bar with a RS on it. I was hoping to ID the recipient by cross-referencing known recipients of the RS.

Unfortunately, after I purchased the medal bar online, the dealer lost my order and let someone else buy it from under me. :violent:

Nevertheless, these appear to be great sources and if I ever get a bar (in my hands) with a RS or ST, I will delve into them.

Thank you again.