News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Colonel Todor Denchev Dechev Group

A very interesting documented group to Bulgarian Air Force Colonel Dechev. Service from WW2 through the late 1980's. While a very complete group (still no way to research and find out if anything is missing....) there's a couple of interesting questions.... if he was in WW2, why does he not receive his 10-Year Long Service Medal until 1961? He then receives his 15-Year LSM in 1966. He was clearly still "employed" through the late 1980's..... but no 20-Year LSM in the group? (I have all of his medals & orders as well as the documents)

Another interesting question.... His rank on the Soviet Victory medal lists him as "gednik" (or something close??)... what the heck is that?

Meet our Colonel:

Interior of the documents showing (then) "Gednik" Dechev. Document issued by "Soviet Group of Southern Forces". The 1985 Jubilee medal is interesting by virtue of the issuing authority: "USSR Deputy Minister of Defense for Cadres"

The rank is Rednik. So he was just an ordinary soldier in the WW2. It looks like /probably shortly postwar/ he pursued military career and became an officer in 1951, hence the 10 years in 1961 and the 15 years in 1966. Both medals point the year 1951.

Why no 20 years medal? Who knows... Maybe just missing from the group. Or maybe some scenario, like he quit after 15 - 16 years and was called back at some later point, missing the moment for a 20 years medal? Please show the rest, the other awards and the documents may give some idea.

BTW his name is Todor Denchev Dechev. On the 1985 document the second name is wrong /I believe that the 1985 is the document with wrong name, because that Dochkov is a name very unlikely, unheard so far by me, while Denchev is popular/.

Edited by Theodor