News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looks like it could be OK. Really need to see the letter "K" which is cropped off in the pic. There is an error in the "K" on the modern fakes in that the "hole" if you can call it that, in the upper part of the K is too small.

You can see my original in this thread.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14376&hl=hipper

I originally had a hesitation on this tally because of the closeness to the edging of the letters on the upper and lower edges of the letters as seen on the posterior side of the tallies.

In my experience, I have not seen a tally like that which turned out to be genuine.

However, I thought this might still have a good chance as this appeared from the scan to be a cellion tally?

This was my questioning. I can not provide better pictures/scans because I don't own this tally.

There is a seller on Ebay.de that sells reproduction tallies I didn't see a hipper tally but he has several of the larger ships Kreuzer, Panzerschiff, Schlachtschiff listed.

This tally is not from that particular seller.

Is my assumption correct? Can I see a reverse scan of your Hipper tally Gordon?

Thanks for your consideration and expertise.

Regards,

2dresq

Whilst I would be hesitant to buy anything from such poor images, I do think it has a chance. These new photos certainly show a more believable toned yellow gold colour rather than the brighter yellow that the modern fakes have used. On many of the copies the weave pattern on the reverse is totally wrong,. but on some it is quite accurate though the materials themselves are often wrong (modern synthetics ).

I think this one would probably need an "in hand" inspection to be comfortable with it.

Attached a scan of the reverse of mine. This came from Detlev Niemann with a large grouping of around 60 documents ( Soldbuch, Award Documents, etc etc) to a Hipper crewman.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hipper tally posted at the top is a 100% fake. Better images would show the telltale "dots" around the reverse images but you can still make them out here. These dots are not on real tallies, the thread is wrong, the thread reverse "density" is wrong. Also too bright. John