News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

3 Large Silver Stars on a Leopold II Medal?

Hi Gldank,

I've been following the Belgian medals for some years, and, even after having done some research, I did NOT find any attributions of that kind. Only stars in combination with gold stripe(s) have been attributed.

I will continue looking around, but if you as me, this is a combination, made to make the medal go higher value. :violent:

kind regards

Hi Gldank,

I've been following the Belgian medals for some years, and, even after having done some research, I did NOT find any attributions of that kind. Only stars in combination with gold stripe(s) have been attributed.

I will continue looking around, but if you as me, this is a combination, made to make the medal go higher value. :violent:

kind regards

OK thank you Bemed. How about this one without gold stripe(s)? :speechless:

Edited by Gldank

Same here:

nice medal; but not original, due to the star. :shame:

kind regards

Thank you. I have been collecting Belgian medals and orders for years and am still amazed by the different variations I find. :banger:

Silver stars and golden stars can be added as a ribbon emblem on the medals of the Order of Leopold II.

There are fivepointed stars and sixpointed stars.

I have seen people with a sixpointed star as a ribbon emblem without the golden stripe

in an official meeting.

I should check wether it is possible to have a star on the ribbon without golden stripe.

Normally one star is given as a special recommendation on the ribbon.

I should check wether it is possible to have more then one star.

However I have seen veterans who place non official emblems of veteran medals on the ribbons of official orders. That could explain the variety of ribbon emblems on ribbons also for commemorative medals. Sometimes you could see the sign of a deportation society on the ribbon of the Auschwitz cross, an irish cross on the ribbon of a military fighter medal WWII (Irish training camp), a polish eagle to indiate that the person whas a Polish fighter and stayed after the war in Belgium.......

Many of these emblems go back to the veteran society and the history of the regiment.

But these are non official and of course you have people who add ribbon emblems to ribbons to get a higher price.

I should check wether it is possible to have a star on the ribbon without golden stripe.

Confirmed: one silver five pointed star or a golden five pointed star only comes on a ribbon with a golden stripe.

on an official medal there are no stars on a normal ribbon.

Veteran societies should imply with the normal official guide lines, but

somtimes the veteran's council is not fully aware of the official guide lines.

Outstanding! Thank you for your research! :jumping:

Silver stars and golden stars can be added as a ribbon emblem on the medals of the Order of Leopold II.

There are fivepointed stars and sixpointed stars.

I have seen people with a sixpointed star as a ribbon emblem without the golden stripe

in an official meeting.

However I have seen veterans who place non official emblems of veteran medals on the ribbons of official orders. That could explain the variety of ribbon emblems on ribbons also for commemorative medals. Sometimes you could see the sign of a deportation society on the ribbon of the Auschwitz cross, an irish cross on the ribbon of a military fighter medal WWII (Irish training camp), a polish eagle to indiate that the person whas a Polish fighter and stayed after the war in Belgium.......

Many of these emblems go back to the veteran society and the history of the regiment.

But these are non official and of course you have people who add ribbon emblems to ribbons to get a higher price.

Can you explain more with regards this? (in bold)

The Republic of Ireland was neutral during WW2,

and the only other reason could be that the camp was located in Northern Ireland

which is officially part of the U.K.

Have you any pictures of the Irish Cross?

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hallo James, :beer:

many thanks for the link, as I suspected they served in Northern Ireland (U.K)

From April 3rd 1945 until April 8th 1945 the entire brigade was shipped and transported to Northern Ireland.

Interesting information though, did they manage to see any combat duty or was the war over before they had a chance to deploy?

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Interesting information though, did they manage to see any combat duty or was the war over before they had a chance to deploy?

I think the war was over and the troops were only used in the post-war occupation of Germany. :unsure:

I think the war was over and the troops were only used in the post-war occupation of Germany. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

about the combat action of the Belgian regiments who were stationed in Northern Ireland.

Most Belgian regiments who where in Northern Ireland saw action in the Netherlands.

One of the regiments was named after the UK expeditionary army in Belgium (Spearhead),

In the beginning of the war the remains of the official Belgian army was spread all

over the UK. At the end of the war, when some parts of Belgian were liberated,

the army recruited a lot of volunteers from the secret army and other men.

After a short training period, they were used to fight in Holland, They were attached to

some US army groups. There exist bars for the belgian commemorative WWII medal with the names

of the cities and towns where they fought.

about the combat action of the Belgian regiments who were stationed in Northern Ireland.

Most Belgian regiments who where in Northern Ireland saw action in the Netherlands.

One of the regiments was named after the UK expeditionary army in Belgium (Spearhead),

In the beginning of the war the remains of the official Belgian army was spread all

over the UK. At the end of the war, when some parts of Belgian were liberated,

the army recruited a lot of volunteers from the secret army and other men.

After a short training period, they were used to fight in Holland, They were attached to

some US army groups. There exist bars for the belgian commemorative WWII medal with the names

of the cities and towns where they fought.

jumping.gifVery interesting! Thank you. Lion

• 2 years later...

Hallo Gldank, just going through old posts and want to come back on this one.

The knight cross of Léopold II is sometimes given to important staff or managers of commercial or cultural societies to thank them for their long contribution to Belgian's fame and/or wealth... let us say it is the top "labour medal" but not for the common worker!

Often the "managers" receive their decoration provided by the staff (workers, employees) as a gift and token of appreciation. This can explain that the miniature you show with one star is ornated with stones... The decoration is then handed over during a tribute happening.

In some companies of factories those who offer the decoration put these unofficial stars on the ribbon to represent (generally) a period of 10 years the owner was chairman or head or big boss, in charge of, aso....

Usually you get ( or got) these high positions when you have already worked quite a number of years, so these knight crosses are not for the youngsters...

This system applies also for officer and commandeur crosses.

Hopes this helps you.

regards, Belgoman