News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Assistance identifying a General from a Medal Bar

Hello,

It has been a long time since I have tried to do research on a soldier of the German Army.

Here is what I have:

Offizier der Panzertruppe im Afrikakorps und sp?teren General des Bundesgrenzschutzes M?ller (Officer in the Tanktroops of the Africacorps and later Borderguard General M?ller - the borderguards ment are those of the actual German government).

This has come from my purchase of this 1957 medal bar and Panzer Assault Badge in Silver. The seller provided the above information. I am sorry to say I do not have his first name.

frontofitalianmedalbar.jpg

pabwbar.jpg

I would like to locate his service record and a photo would be just wonderful. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

My best,

Vince

Guest Rick Research

Wehrmacht 12 means entry into the armed forces no later than 1927...

so probably a Major or Oberstleutnant by war's end though the KVK2X is rather odd for a combat Panzer officer.

There is, of course, no worse name to look up without any other Wehrmacht data. Well, "Schmidt," would be a tie.

what does it say on the back of the Italian Bravery Medal? Should be engraved with his name and date of award.

Wehrmacht 12 means entry into the armed forces no later than 1927...

so probably a Major or Oberstleutnant by war's end though the KVK2X is rather odd for a combat Panzer officer.

There is, of course, no worse name to look up without any other Wehrmacht data. Well, "Schmidt," would be a tie.

what does it say on the back of the Italian Bravery Medal? Should be engraved with his name and date of award.

Yes Sir,

My thoughts exactly, just like an American named Smith! This medal bar is on its way to me from Germany. Unfortunately I cannot look yet. The gentleman I purchased it from is well versed in medals, I would be very surprised if he missed that one! One never knows. I kind of agree with your comment about a KVK, I have seen stranger things on medal bars before! At least it has swords!!!

Upon its arrival I will inspect it well. Are you saying even the 1957 reissue decorations should have that information on them? I could see the first war time decoration but a 1957? Have you seen this before?

Thank you very much for your help,

Vince Leone

Guest Rick Research

I'd doubt it if a "Spangenst?ck" of the Italiaan Valor Medal would-- I remember them being sold very cheaply with other replacement Axis allies' awards and M1957 German awards in the 1960s. The one on this medal bar looks much too nice for that, so I suspect it may (hopefully) be the original issued piece.

If somebody can confirm the Bundesgrenzschutz data and come up with a first name, date of birth etc, may be able to work back through the 1930s and 1940s army rank and seniority lists. Have to know what and where he was in 1939 for that.

PS The Order of the Crown Of Romania also indicates a Major and appears to be the original issued piece. That's rather odd with no other obvious Russian Front service, and without the Crusade Against Communism Medal. From the awards on the medal bar, I'd think some sort of staff officer, not a frontline unit type.

Paging through the Biblio series "Die Generale and admirale der Bundeswehr 1955-1999", volume three, the only General named M?ller who had any Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS)service was Alfred Johannes M?ller (20.08.1909 in Sperbitz bei Dresden-07.02.1997 in Kroberg/Taunus).

The photo of him shows only part of his two-row ribbon bar. The odd thing is that the second ribbon on the lower bar appears to be "Frozen Meat Award" (Eastern Front). While it is conceivible he would have left this off his 1957 ribbon bar, it does present a question.

For a moment let's assume this is the guy:

He entered the Reichswehr 01.04.1929 in 10. Inf. R. (L?bau). After initial training he was promoted Leutn. on 01.05.1933 with a seniority date of 15.10.1932After serving with Inf. R. Potsdam and then IR 31, he attended the Kriegsakademie from 03.11.1938-25.08.1939.

He served in General staff postions through 1944. For a brief period (13.01-13.03.45) he commanded Parachute Regiment 1. Highest Wehrmacht rank attained was Oberstlt. i.G. 01.05.1943. He was a POW from 02.05.1945-28.03.1947.

Called to the BGS in 1951 as a Major, he served in various posItions (rising to the rank of Oberstlt. im BGS 24.06.1954) until being called up to the Bundeswehr on 30.06.1956, and promoted Oberst the following day. From then until his retirement on 31.03.1968, he served in staff positions with no troop time or commands.

Highest rank attained was Generalmajor- 20.12.1965.

As I am still a scanning novice and am not eligible to post larger files to the forums, I am not able to post his photo here.

Andy

Edited by arb

Paging through the Biblio series "Die Generale and admirale der Bundeswehr 1955-1999", volume three, the only General named M?ller who had any Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS)service was Alfred Johannes M?ller (20.08.1909 in Sperbitz bei Dresden-07.02.1997 in Kroberg/Taunus).

The photo of him shows only part of his two-row ribbon bar. The odd thing is that the second ribbon on the lower bar appears to be "Frozen Meat Award" (Eastern Front). While it is conceivible he would have left this off his 1957 ribbon bar, it does present a question.

For a moment let's assume this is the guy:

He entered the Reichswehr 01.04.1929 in 10. Inf. R. (L?bau). After initial training he was promoted Leutn. on 01.05.1933 with a seniority date of 15.10.1932After serving with Inf. R. Potsdam and then IR 31, he attended the Kriegsakademie from 03.11.1938-25.08.1939.

He served in General staff postions through 1944. For a brief period (13.01-13.03.45) he commanded Parachute Regiment 1. Highest Wehrmacht rank attained was Oberstlt. i.G. 01.05.1943. He was a POW from 02.05.1945-28.03.1947.

Called to the BGS in 1951 as a Major, he served in various posItions (rising to the rank of Oberstlt. im BGS 24.06.1954) until being called up to the Bundeswehr on 30.06.1956, and promoted Oberst the following day. From then until his retirement on 31.03.1968, he served in staff positions with no troop time or commands.

Highest rank attained was Generalmajor- 20.12.1965.

As I am still a scanning novice and am not eligible to post larger files to the forums, I am not able to post his photo here.

Andy

Hello Andy,

You may have just found him! If I give you my e-mail address will that be large enough for you to send what you have?

It is: vindog86@live.com

Any chance of a photo in your search?

I look forward to working with you on this project!

Many thanks,

Vince

Vince,

I just sent you a PDF with M?ller's bio, to include a photograph.

Andy

Hello Andy,

This is wonderful information, Thank you very much! Do you know of a way we can find out what his decorations were? There must a list somewhere, I am surprised they are not in his bio.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Many thanks,

Vince