News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order Of Precedence

TacHel

As anybody found a chart displaying the order of precedence of Russian Federation awards yet?

I don't mean just for the Orders and State Decorations, I mean including ministerial and departmental awards.

I keep seeing pictures of Russian servicemen of all ranks wearing their gongs in the most ludicrous illogical manner imaginable and it's driving me nuts!

Somebody somewhere must've slapped one together... If you find one, even a partial one... PLEASE contact me, I'll be soooo grateful.

I doubt if there is an overarching one... you know the precedence for the official Federation ODM, and then use the precedence as given for each Ministry, etc.;... but as for which Ministry or Department comes first, anyone's guess. These bureaucrats never imagine that someone might have dealings, and hence receive awards, from more than one Ministry/Department, so the poor dear is on his own when pinning on his rack!

... but as for which Ministry or Department comes first, anyone's guess.

And I don't really care about that... Well I might if there was any semblance of an order above that... But...

There's no order of precedence for Orders! None for State Decorations and Commemoratives! I have pics of officers wearing State Awards BEHIND long service medals!

There's no real order of precedence within any particular ministry unless we ourselves place the awards in a logical manner based on Western standards.

Logically, it should look like this:

State Orders top to bottom

State Decorations top to bottom

State Commemoratives top to bottom

Members own Ministry's awards top to bottom

Awards of other ministries/departments (with an order of precedence of ministries)

Foreign awards (if allowed for wear)

In the British Army I've had people asking me where in their rack they ought to put a medal they've just been awarded, or even which way round an asymmetrical one goes... these being people senior to me by both rank and length of service! And we HAVE established and accessible orders of precedence.

Anyhow, for the Orders & Federation medals I'm going for the sequence as shown at http://award.adm.gov.ru/... and as for the rest, pretty much as you have it on Wikipedia. If they cannot be bothered to establish their own order of precedence, we'll make a de facto one... they'll probably pinch it, file the serial numbers off and use it as their own eventually!

If you are visiting the department of agrriculture.. their medals first... if you are visiting the department of the interior.. theirs first...

It must be like musical chairs :-)

Musical chairs would be simpler IMHO.

I've enrolled in 5 different Russian language phaleristic forums in the past year. NOBODY has a clue! I've asked Russian soldiers, same thing. When I direct them to my Wiki page to see if they can add info, they always come back saying they learned a lot... It's enough to make me weep! :banger:

The mixing of Soviet and Federation ODMs is bad enough, but when there's absolutely no order in their wear, and to boot they slap in non governmental awards among them... Not to mention "tsarist" Orders bestowed by Grand Duchess "whatshername"... It's enough to lose one's bearings to say the least.

The worst culprits are the generals... It's unreal to see some of their medal bars.

I wish I could find more pics of NCOs, so far, they're the only ones wearing ODMs in a logical way.

I think the rUSSIAN gENERALS HAVE THEIR ORDER WORKED OUT BY THE aIRFORCES 2WEIGHT AND BALANCE2 GUYS WHO WORK OUT THE LOADING OF THE CARGO AIRCRAFT:

They simply choose an order that allows the general to stand upright, without tipping to the left, right, or falling flat on his a§§ because of an unbalanced jacket!

:-)

Well hey... I'm an air force senior NCO and it just so happens, a Weight & Balance expert holding the job of squadron W&Bal officer and having rewritten 2 of our technical orders for our entire helo fleet. But I'm no loadmaster... I can't stand those guys! Glorified supply techs in a flight suit that think they're God's gift to air power. But I digress...

off%20topic.gif

But I agree with the "2 weights - 2 measures" term. It unfortunately is prevalent in many services, I've even seen it here in Canada. When they redid the Canadian awards system to move it away from the British awards system, they kept Orders and Decorations in for years because certain generals wore them. Within a month of said general's retirement, lo and behold, an amendment would come out removing the Order from the Canadian list. This happened with the D.F.C., the O.B.E. and the Victorian Order is still in for the officers! Total BS!

The last straw (for me anyway) that came out a few years ago, and in my opinion the most obscene to date, was that only foreign medals bestowed by a head of state could be worn on a Canadian military uniform. Just so happens that historically, in 99,9% of cases, an officer, due to higher responsibilities will receive a slightly higher grade of an award than an NCO. So they basically told the officers to wear foreign Orders while preventing the NCOs from doing the same. Absolute BS! As an example, an NCO on exchange in the USA might return with a Commendation or an Achievement medal, these are bestowed in the name of the Secretary of Defense IE can't wear them. Officers as a rule will rarely return with less than a Meritorious Service Medal who's bestowed in who's name? The President of course... What a coincidence.

Anyway... Just venting here. :rolleyes:

Well Frank.. IMHO you are just jealous of the Russians... who seem to wear things awarded by just about anyone :-)

LMAO... :lol:

Anything acquired for nothing or too easily has, IMHO, no personal value.

On the flip side though, anything earned and not recognized, is just as bad. Unfortunately, governments Worldwide seem to jump from one extreme to the other and very rarely opt for the logical middle ground, and this, in just about EVERY topic.