News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Zofia Foltyn

Hi All,

Another new Polish group, to Zofia Foltyn, a female militia lieutenant in the 6th Department of the Ministry of Public Security.

Order Polonia Restituta 5th Class

Merit Cross 1st Class

Gold Medal for Protecting Public Order

Silver Medal for Protecting Public Order

Medal for 30 Years Excellent Militia Service

40 Year Anniversary Medal

Badge for 20 Years of Militia Service

Document for 10 Years of Militia Service

And additional info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, :cheers:

-Alex

Edited by RedMaestro

Guest Rick Research

What was "Department 6?"

Since she was a Senior Lieutenant in 1960... wonder what she was in the 1980s? Wasn't the Order given out by rank? So perhaps a Captain or (?) Major?

What was "Department 6?"

Since she was a Senior Lieutenant in 1960... wonder what she was in the 1980s? Wasn't the Order given out by rank? So perhaps a Captain or (?) Major?

I am not sure what Department 6 is and whether she worked for it or not, as I will explain in detail below. Originally, I took that bit about working of Department 6 from the seller's description. I attached little significance to it, since the description was written in broken english, and thought I would just add it as an incidental bit of info. However, I am glad you asked, Rick, because if you hadn't, I never would have bothered to look and wouldn't have noticed quite a bit!

Here are links about Department 6 of the MSW (Ministry of the Interior) and the MSW itself on Polish wikipedia:

http://pl.wikipedia....wn%C4%99trznych

http://pl.wikipedia....4%99trznych_PRL

They were in charge of protecting farms, food supplies, natural resources, and the environment. When I started researching Department 6, this seemed to answer your question, Rick. However, I am now convinced that this is not the right department. The only stamp having anything to do with a "6" appears on the document for the 20 year police badge, issued in 1970 on a 1960 document (see closeup below). The words on the stamp don't appear to say "Ministerstwo Spraw Wewnętrznych". It is difficult to tell, since the stamp is almost illegible. There is the possibility that the last word may be an abbreviation for "Wewetrznych." But in any case, Department 6 of the MSW was created in 1984, long after this document was issued. Clearly not the same.

Teodor Mikus (whose stamp is also on the 20 year badge document over that for Department 6) was a Brigadier General in the MO (the Militia) and in 1970 was Director of the Department of Staff and Instruction of the MSW. His stamp confirms this ("Dyrektor Departamentu kadr i szkolenia"). However, I found no relation between him and a Department 6.

http://pl.wikipedia....odor_Miku%C5%9B

In conlcusion, while Zofia was clearly in the MO and worked for the MSW, her involvement with a "Department 6" is unclear. So, any help figuring out what the stamp with the "6" is for, or any clarifications or corrections on my interpretation, would be greatly appreciated! :cheers:

About her rank, she actually began as a senior sergeant and ("st. sierz") and finished as a lieutenant ("ppor.").

http://pl.wikipedia....%C5%84_wojskowy

-Alex

Edited by RedMaestro