News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bidding Gone Wild?

Dieter3

O.K., so I've seen some crazy auctions as I'd imagine we all have.Sure, I've paid more for things than the "market value", but I don't quite get these two auctions today. Not sure if it was a case of bidding wars gone wild or if these documents belonged to somebody important. If anybody can make sense out of it, I'd sure like to know!The first one for a China Incident award document, sold for ¥37,000with 70 bids! The second one a 2600th Anniversary award document for¥22,500 with 29 bids.....

China-1.jpgChina-2.jpg

China-3.jpgChina-4.jpg

Edited by Dieter3

In this case, they were all awarded to the same person, Major-General Sukegawa Seiji. Commanding officer of the 38th Infantry Regiment from March 1 1937 to July 1938. This regiment was involved in the Rape of Nanking in 1937 under his command. Right before that he was stationed in Taiwan from 1/1935 to 3/1/1937. He ended his career stationed in the homelands (Kobe, I think). Anyway, a fairly well-known officer with an interesting history.

Some hefty prices for documents that are otherwise somewhat inexpensive.

Cheers,

Rich

In this case, they were all awarded to the same person, Major-General Sukegawa Seiji. Commanding officer of the 38th Infantry Regiment from March 1 1937 to July 1938. This regiment was involved in the Rape of Nanking in 1937 under his command. Right before that he was stationed in Taiwan from 1/1935 to 3/1/1937. He ended his career stationed in the homelands (Kobe, I think). Anyway, a fairly well-known officer with an interesting history.

Some hefty prices for documents that are otherwise somewhat inexpensive.

Cheers,

Rich

Thanks Rich, that somewhat explains it I guess! Just a a few bidders were battling it out with each other over these and they were hot to get 'em! I figured there must have been SOMETHING to this other than just a simple case of one-upsmanship! A Manchurian Incident document was up there too from the same seller, perhaps issued to the same individual but - in better condition than either of the two above, though it fetched a lot less at 'only' ¥8,000....

Well, not to rub salt in the wound......:rolleyes: but here's the Manchurian Incident document - looks to be in good shape and awarded to the same person. Much cheaper at ¥8,500 (not 8,000 as I originally posted.....)! This just goes to show you it pays to know your history and the people involved! Well, I'll just consider my ignorance as bliss.....:blush:

Manchurian-1.jpgManchurian-2.jpg

Manchurian-3.jpgManchurian-4.jpg

Here's another neat one, a Pu-Yi Enthronement (I think.....?) document, ¥70,000 - no idea if that is a 'good' price or not :unsure: but looks like a nice document and the only one I've seen in the short time I've been doing this. I think it is safe to assume these are pretty rare!

Pu-Yi-1.jpgPu-Yi-2.jpg

Not only is the document rare, but it was also awarded to Sukegawa, therefore the high price. This document awarded to a 'regular' person would never fetch such a price, though it would still be pricey.

Not only is the document rare, but it was also awarded to Sukegawa, therefore the high price. This document awarded to a 'regular' person would never fetch such a price, though it would still be pricey.

Indeed! NOw that you've pointed that out, I see the name. And indeed, all of these documents came from the same seller, no coincidence clearly! Sure would love to know the story behind how the seller obtained them! The items themselves are fantastic, but the history behind them even more so in my opinion!

• 8 months later...