News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Realized Prices

Dieter3

It's a lot of work, but for the past few months I've been monitoring auctions for Japanese items (pretty much just orders, medals and their corresponding documents, not pins or badges) from OMJAS. My initial interest was just in tracking value trends and essentially planning out my future purchases (or rather, what will I need to save to get what I'm after!) but it has proved to be a valuable method of learning a bit about the various awards and what they and their rosettes or cases might look like based on their period of manufacture, variations, etc., etc. Always exciting to see new and unfamiliar things, not hard in my particular case!

One thing is for sure - the auction sites are far from predictable! Not that you guys aren't already aware of this, but it amazes me at what things can sell for - a relatively common piece in not-so-good condition sells for a fair sum, while the same thing, sometimes on the same day even, will sell for a ridiculously low price despite its superior condition!! Puzzling. :speechless:

Anyway, for what it's worth, I only have a few months worth of data (and it is A LOT) and am happy to share the info with anybody should they be curious as to what kinds of prices particular items in a given condition might be currently fetching. For you long-time collectors, I'm sure it has been interesting to watch the trends over time!

Interesting.

I have been doing this on eBay for German medal bars (with many pics) since 1999. It allows me to see what's been nobbled/changed too.

Before the site went to anonymous bidders (which one can suss only after when they give feedback) I could even track the instant mark-up for many dealers.

• 9 months later...

So, with Memorial Day coming to a close, I mark one year's worth of collecting data for Japanese and Manchukuo medals and orders!! PHEW! It was a lot of busy work that's for sure.

At any rate - I'm busy analyzing all of the data; it take an incredible amount of time, largely because when I first started collecting the data, I was not settled on criteria, so I had to cobble things together somewhat haphazardly and sorting it out was a chore. But now that I know what I think would be valuable, I've got a better, more efficient system in place so it shouldn't take as long next year. (yes, I'd like to do it every year!)

But for posting the actual data - I'd like to actually start a new thread for it and have 2 humble requests -

First, for any Admins, or higher powered members - can the new thread be made into a sticky? Dunno, just thought it'd make a nice reference if people could find it easily.

Second, replying to it would be O.K., but if anybody wants to do so - can we keep it in this particular thread??? That way, the data could remain contiguous. Not a big deal, just be smoother viewing, that's all. Anyway, hope somebody fins it interesting, if not useful......

Awesome! I was waiting for this since you mentioned a few weeks ago. I believe this will be a big help for many collectors, me included.

Thank you for the great work Dieter! :cheers:

Hi Dieter!

Congratulations on and thanks very much for your fine effort. The medal for your own chest is the honour of having the post "pinned". Good call Paul.

Satsuma

Yes, Dieter, that was a lot of work. Otsukare sama deshita (お疲れさまでした). Thanks for all the info! I suspect sellers will also find this useful, though I'm sure you meant it for buyers.

Cheers, Rich

Thank you all for the comments! I'm sure the info is probably more valuable/interesting to buyers (so Rich, you're right, it is more aimed at buyers) - Prices are one thing, but I do hope it gives people an idea of just how common things are (at least on the market; these numbers aren't necessarily indicative of an item's actual commonality with respect to how many pieces were made, etc.) and their expected conditions. Though I hope sellers find it somewhat useful too, at least in what one might expect to garner from a sale! For veteran sellers, probably not that important, but for any unfamiliar with the pieces, I suppose they could get a general ballpark of value.

I've gotta figure out an efficient way of placing (orders) within a period to give an idea of how common one is over another.

EX: I just posted Rising Sun data, and though it may not be obvious from the summarized data, the tables that I have show that really, really early awards are quite rare and desireable. Two very early 8th class awards in not good condition went for right around the average going price for a 5th class award in good condition! The documents are easy of course, but the medals are more challenging. I'll figure something out. The data gets not only overwhelming to collect, but overwhelming to present.

Next Up will be the Sacred Treasure - that will take a while to compile, then the Sacred Crown- that'll be easy since there are so few. Then war medals, commemoratives, red cross and merit, last will be the Manchukuo awards. Stay tuned!