News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Silver "signum Laudis" And His Former Owner

Iver

This is Silver Military Merit Medal from my collection. On the case is written the name of owner. His name is hauptmann Wilhelm (Vilmos) Stanger baron von Friesenhof, officer of 3. honved field artillery regiment. Here is also his portrait, which is "hanging" in Slavic museum of A.S. Puškin in Brodzany (Slovakia)...

• 1 month later...

Hi Iver,

Very nice medal and how wondeful that you know the recipient.

Would this be the actual medal he wore for the portrait or was it common to own more than one medal, I'm thinking for different functions where the mount may be different. I've know cases, from different nations than your fellow, where tailor's copies were made and worn rather than take the originals out in the crewel world.

I'm not suggesting this is not original as I'm sure it is. I'm just wondering if it was the one in the portrait. I've also known cases where medals were added after the original portrait was completed as more medals had been awarded later on.

Regards

Brian

Brian: Of course I can not say that this is the medal he is wearing on his portrait... It was normal, that officers (who had more money) had more of medals awarded - self purchased- to have one on each uniform ...

• 7 months later...

Hello Iver,

I am in awe of this post. I was thinking that having the medal and then the portrait was amazing but then to have the photo of his final resting place. Very nice indeed.

I agree with Magician that it would be great to find out what he did to earn the decoration. Of course I am sure you feel the same way. If you do find out please be sure to post it as I am know many would be interested as well.

Regards

Brian