News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

CAVALRY SWORD - PORT. OR, ITALIAN ?

Mervyn Mitton

This is one for the sword collectors to 'get their teeth into' . I can recognise it as European - the name looks Italian - also, looks Portuguese in style. Since we had two of their colonies either side of Sth. Africa, I tend to favour this idea, but, what date and was it for Colonial Forces or, brought from Europe ? Over to you....

I believe the manufacturer Sebastiano Gnutti & Figli an Italian sword manufacturer (amongst other things).

For whom the sword may have been manufactured is an entirely different thing.

Hi Mervyn,

I don't recognise the pattern, but the profiled grip, cut-out indentation in the guard for the tumb-tip and the sword knot are all very Italian features!

John

Mervyn,

It is definitely Italian, but I am not sure what pattern. It appears to be a mix of two patterns; the guard of an M1929 Infantry NCO sword:

75608-1152219000818_9itswo9a.jpg

And the grip of an M1888 Artillery sword:

92325-P1010012.jpg

I cannot cite a reference, but I have been told that some WWII era Italian swords were put together from elements of various models to sell to allied soldiers as souvenirs. I am not sure how true that is, though.

Jonathan

Always nice when a quastion on something crops-up - gives us something to think about....

Now that we know it is Italian, I think it's provenance is a little clearer. One of the most succesful - but, least known campaigns in WW2 was the Sth. African attack on Ethiopia. Our troops - 28,000 only - had to motor from Capetown, up through Kenya - collecting troops on the way. The Italians had 250,000 men available, but , and I have read a number of books on this - most did not support Fascism and they retreated. We captured thousands and it was a great problem as to where to take them. Many were sent to Canada and also, Sth. Africa.

The point I am leading up to is that many 'souvenirs' were captured and brought back by our troops. We see all kinds of things that were picked-up. Therefore, could this be a pattern for Italian Colonial Cavalry ?

One of the most succesful - but, least known campaigns in WW2 was the Sth. African attack on Ethiopia. Our troops - 28,000 only - had to motor from Capetown, up through Kenya - collecting troops on the way. The Italians had 250,000 men available, but , and I have read a number of books on this - most did not support Fascism and they retreated. We captured thousands and it was a great problem as to where to take them. Many were sent to Canada and also, Sth. Africa.

Yes, and when the British command reported on and asked for assistance with the large number of POWs and were asked by London to give a specific number, their response was "100 acres of ORs and 10 acres of officers" !

• 2 weeks later...

Always nice if a quastion on something crops-up - gives us something to anticipate about....

Nowthat we apperceive it is Italian, I anticipate it's ancestry is alittle clearer. One of the a lot of succesful - but, atomic acceptedcampaigns in WW2 was the Sth. African advance on Ethiopia. Our troops -28,000 alone - had to motor from Capetown, up through Kenya - accessiontroops on the way. The Italians had 250,000 men available, but , and Iaccept apprehend a amount of books on this - a lot of did not abutmentFascism and they retreated. We captured bags and it was a abundantbotheration as to area to yield them. Many were beatific to Canada andalso, Sth. Africa.

:)

Edited by khira02

Khira (?) Very nice to hear from someone in the Phillipines - I'm sure other members will say - hello ! I hope you will enjoy being a member. Tell us something about yourself - what do you collect and what are your militaria interests ? Mervyn

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

• 1 month later...