News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Infantry Regiment organisation

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have googled myself to death... but am still confused...

How was a WW1 regiment organised? 3 battalions? How were the companies divided up?

Any help would be greatly appretiated.

best

Chris

Hi Chris!!

I completely forgot about this topic. Here is a chart on the US Military forum that might help. I am going to compare tonight a few of the Battalion records I have. I dont think there was much difference between the National Army and the National Guard divisions. I know there were some abnormalities, as the 158th Artillery Brigade was attached to the 32nd Division from the 83rd during operations in the Argonne

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30031

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have googled myself to death... but am still confused...

How was a WW1 regiment organised? 3 battalions? How were the companies divided up?

Any help would be greatly appretiated.

best

Chris

I'm presuming you meant an infantry regiment. A WW I division also had three field artillery regiments and an engineer regiment. Each infantry regiment had three infantry battalions of four companies each, plus a Headquarters Company and a Supply Company. The companies were lettered: A through D were the 1st Battalion, E through H the 2nd, I through M the 3rd (there was no J Company). The organization was the same for all of the AEF divisions regardless of origin (Regular Army, National Guard, National Army). The regiment was nominally commanded (at least, as required by the Table of Organization and Equipement) by a colonel with a lieutenant colonel as second-in-command, the battalions by majors, the companies by captains. I hope this was what you were looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

thanks. That helps.

Were Field Artillery in 2 Battalions?

Thanks

Chris

Yes, each field artillery regiment was organized into two battalions of three lettered batteries each. Like the infantry regiments, each artillery regiment also had a headquarters company and a supply company.