News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mystery Dutchman

I'm reworking the display for my Dutch medals, and, after stumbling through the Dutch precedence list, have managed to get most of them sorted out, except for this one, which doesn't appear to be listed. Unless I get better information, I plan to insert it just after the WW II Mobilisation Cross. Can someone help me determine just where it should go? (And why isn't it listed? Is it not an official medal? Is it approved for wear on the military uniform?)

I've looked on Hendryk and Eric Muller's sites, but couldn't find it.

NETHERLANDS- 1940 Invasion Medal bronze, EF

The Angel, London, 6/97

Thanks for the help

Hugh

And here's the reverse

Hello Hugh,

Are you sure this is actually Dutch?

Why would the Dutch be issuing medals with bilingual text. "Hollande" is French, is it not? There are also no obvious signs of tradition symbolism associated with the House of Orange. Perhaps this is some private commemorative medal for French or Belgian personnel who may have served during the German invasion?

Cheers

James

I believe it to be a non-official commemorative medal for the French troops that shortly ventured into the Netherlands in May 1940 to help stop the German advance. It is not supposed to be worn on military uniforms.

Hendrik / James - Thanks for this information. I was misled by the lion, but now that I look carefully, I see that he is not the same. Interestingly, I'm displaying both the Dutch and the French in the same frame, so I guess I'll put it in a No Man's Land between the two. I appreciate your help. Do you know who actually issued the medal?

Best,

Hugh

• 2 months later...

Hendrik / James - Thanks for this information. I was misled by the lion, but now that I look carefully, I see that he is not the same. Interestingly, I'm displaying both the Dutch and the French in the same frame, so I guess I'll put it in a No Man's Land between the two. I appreciate your help. Do you know who actually issued the medal?

Best,

Hugh

this medal was made in the mid 70s in france by a medal dealer,to comm the france campaign in southern parts for the netherlands.

no official medal just worn by french veterans and bought by collectors,have had a box of 20/25 of them in the mid 80s bought in west germany at the famous graf klenau auction house while i was a on military service based in western germany

and sold them for 20,-/25,- hfl now about 9/11 euro on dutch military shows,todays prices in holland for this medal 40 euro or more