News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

Here is a little miniature chain with three decorations (Bavarian golden medal for arts and science, Bavarian Ludwig’s cross, and Nassau Adolph Order), made by Weiss & Co, which appears to have been awarded to a Bavarian.

Before I pose my questions, I would like to point out that this is an example of the highest quality in minis. On the golden arts and science medal, the engraver’s name is clearly visible and even readable! I am sorry that I cannot seem to bring it out clearly on my computer, but it is there.

Here is a view of the reverse.

My first question regards what appears to be a Nassau military and civil merit order, or as it is more commonly known, Adolphus Order. As near as I can tell, this order was awarded with a crown only in the grand cross and commander’s grades.

Does anyone out there have any information to the contrary on this?

My second question, of course, is whether the holder of this group might be identifiable?

Thank you for your interest and any information that you might be able to provide,

Wild Card

I believe that the later (Luxembourg) version of the O. of Adolph had a Knight's version with Crown. This would probably make more sense since there is quite a spread between the1866 demise of Nassau's independence and the WWI era Bavarian award.

Hi Beau,

I think that you have hit it - right on. :cheers:

Of course! :speechless: I had forgotten that this order was continued, after 1866, under Luxembourg. I was uneasy about the time line (spread), but this would explain it. Many thanks.

By the way, :unsure: we missed you at OMSA. For Imperial German collectors, it was one of the best in years. :jumping: I will be posting something that found it’s way home with me within the next few days. :whistle:

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card

As far as the bar being traceable that all depends if the owner was in Bayern state service. If so then I think he would be findable in a Bayern State and Court book. Also if the award dates were before 1908 he may also be in the DOA 1908/09. I think the chances of find him are very slim.