News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish orders to British recipients

David

Does anyone know any means of researching awards of Turkish orders such as Medjidie to non-military British recipients such as consuls diplomats etc ? I am thinking particularly here of the date of the award(s) and the class of order. I have seen references to the Ottoman archives but I don't know if they would be able to help or if the material is still available for the early awards.

Living in England, I find it particularly difficult to research this stuff and there isn't much help on the internet. The emphasis is so much on British military medals. Could some kind person set out for me the various classes of the Medjidie and the Osmanlie and advise what the recipient would have been given in terms of a neck badge, breast badge etc?

Thanks very much in advance.

David

• 13 years later...

Many foreign medals & decorations, and Turkish medals and decorations to Brit’s were gazettes in both the London and Edinburgh Gazettes. I have an Order of the Medjidie (3 cl) to a civil servant that was awarded in 1902 and he was in both Gazettes.