News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross - EK I, or What?

Ulan

I too have always wondered about the significance of these and similar type items.

There seem to be many different (Iron Cross motif) patriotic pins, some of good quality, others not very well made. These ones are probably in commemoration of some event or anniversary.

Surely someone knows something about these crosses. There seems to be First and Second Class examples.

Schwyz

Guest Rick Research

While I have no idea whether these are in fact original or fantasy items, the motif and dates indicate items connected with the 225th anniversary of the raising of Meckleburg Fusileer Regiment 90.

1913 was a wildly enthusiastic jubilee year, with many centennial celebrations of the final offensives against Napoleon.

I would love to see the disk on the 1st class one. From the front it looks like a fake screwdisc.

These regt anniv badges were keepsakes, i doubt anyone would make a hole in their jacket to wear one.

I bet EUR5 that these were ribbon only keepsakes and some faker used a casting of an origibnal to make a screwback.

best

Chruis

Hello Gents,

for a reverse shot, it will take me about 6 weeks since my friend is bringing it to China.

Has anyone ever come across a photo (1913-1930...?) were someone of rank or in unform can be seen wearing one of these?

From what I can see - on the photo, even for a fantasy like order, it seems to be well done.

Regards

Ulan

Hi,

it is unlikely they were ever worn. If I understand, the regiment had an anniversary, things like this were given out as keepsakes to soldiers and vets attending the ceremony, and a day later they were relegated to the bedside drawer as business returned to normal.

Simple onepiece copies are easy to make today.

Guest Rick Research

Exactly. The screwback gives me a feeling of unease-- typical of eastern European fantasy items. Screwbacks were never routine for German badges of this variety.

Hello Gents,

In 1786 King Friedrich II permits the members of Infantry Regt. 32 for the “Soldiers Warriors Association” to be founded - Die Militaerische Bruderschuetzenschaft was officially founded in 1788 named Kyffhäuser Soldatenbund in 1900.

1913 commemorates the 100 years introduction of the Iron Cross, as well as celebrations in regards to the Napoleonic Liberation wars – I would think that this is a Kyffhäuser associated EK I and was therefore distributed in 1913/14 amongst its members who had been formerly awarded an EK I.

Same would go for those having been awarded an EK II.

Anyone any ideas to the number 90?

Regards

Ulan

Guest Rick Research

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39316&view=findpost&p=364107

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39316&view=findpost&p=364168